Bottles in a Pressure Cooker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovetop535

Reaction score
I have about 25 wine bottles from friends and a lot of them are pretty nasty inside. I have tried hot oxi soaks in a cooler overnight and there are still deposits in the bottom. If I brush every bottle by hand most of it comes out, but there are still a few deposits that are hanging on.

I have a large pressure cooker that I can fit 5 bottles in at a time. Is it safe to do this? I know most people would say throw them out and buy new but if the pressure cookers steam will clean them out I would rather do that.

Also, how long should I run them in? I was thinking 15 minutes should do the trick.

Thanks
Alex

Is it really worth the effort? For the amount of money involved versus the work, I'd just chuck them to be safe.

Maybe, maybe not. The bottles are mostly stretch hock bottles, which cost $18 for a case at my lhbs. I have 15 gallons of mead in my basement that will need bottled in the near future, so I am trying to save bottles if at all possible. I am also starting on my new single tier brewstand, so if I can save 40 bucks on bottles that is 40 bucks I can put into the stand.

Have you tried any B-Brite? I've found that's it's pretty similar to oxi-clean, but seems to do a bit better job of getting crud off. Especially if I hit it immediately afterwards with a jet bottle washer.

I havent tried that. I will look into ordering some.

For now I will just try loading up the pressure cooker to see how it will work. I dont think the cooker will damage the bottles, we shall see.

Why do you think putting them in a pressure cooker will get them clean?

I would try repeated soaks in PBW and hot (175*) water.

Why do you think putting them in a pressure cooker will get them clean?

I would try repeated soaks in PBW and hot (175*) water.

Second that. Soak in PBW, rinse, soak in hot water. Repeat until done.

Our hot water heater is so old that getting 175* water would require me to heat it on the stove then dump it into the bottles.

The pressure cooker at 15psi is equal to about 250* inside. Between that and the moisture and steam produced it seems like it has the potential to be an effective cleaning environment.

If filling them with hot PBW and letting them soak for a few days doesn't get them clean, I'd be scared to use them. There must've been some seriously nasty garbage in there if that doesn't work.

If you really get stuck you could try using some Caustic soda / Sodium Hydroxide / lye which should take care of any organic material. I would say between 2% solution should be good - just be vary careful with the stuff.

Our hot water heater is so old that getting 175* water would require me to heat it on the stove then dump it into the bottles.

The pressure cooker at 15psi is equal to about 250* inside. Between that and the moisture and steam produced it seems like it has the potential to be an effective cleaning environment.

Ive never heard of any hot water heater that gets water to 175F coming out the faucet.

If I brush every bottle by hand most of it comes out, but there are still a few deposits that are hanging on.

Thanks
Alex

So is this organic crud, or mineral deposits? If organic, hot PBE or oxyclean should do the trick. If it is a whitish deposit, it is likely some minerals, and you need an acid to take care of this. I've use a bit of undiluted starsan for this, or lime-away or CLR. Even if it organic, you might try some acid, after and alkaline treatment. The alkaline treatment helps to break it down, and then the acid gets it to release from the bottle

Ive never heard of any hot water heater that gets water to 175F coming out the faucet.

Neither have I. I have no desire to boil water and funnel it into the bottles. That sounds like a good way for me to burn myself and make a mess all at the same time.

So is this organic crud, or mineral deposits? If organic, hot PBE or oxyclean should do the trick. If it is a whitish deposit, it is likely some minerals, and you need an acid to take care of this. I've use a bit of undiluted starsan for this, or lime-away or CLR. Even if it organic, you might try some acid, after and alkaline treatment. The alkaline treatment helps to break it down, and then the acid gets it to release from the bottle

Honestly a little of both. There is crud where the brush cant reach completely and a few mineral/cleaner deposits from leaving the bottles sit too long with cleaner in them.

Anyway I went ahead and ran all the bottles through the cooker and the ones with deposits came out clean. I have a big All American Pressure cooker I use for canning meats (mostly deer) and I was able to fit 4 to 6 bottles at a time (depending on type). I put a little water in the bottom of each bottle and let them go for 15 min at 15psi. The organic deposits that were left in the bottom came right out. Doing one batch after another and keeping the cooker hot it did not take too long. I would start/stop batches during commercial breaks.

Now if only people would rinse their bottles out before giving them to me....

Back