bottles for sours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I have a bunch of empty chimay bottles, would that be ok to use to bottle sours once FG is reached? Probably would have to wait a good amount of time to make absolutely sure, but it should be OK right? Anything I should worry about if I was to use them or another heavy belgian type bottle without a cork?

I have a bunch of empty chimay bottles, would that be ok to use to bottle sours once FG is reached? Probably would have to wait a good amount of time to make absolutely sure, but it should be OK right? Anything I should worry about if I was to use them or another heavy belgian type bottle without a cork?
you'll be just fine. in fact you'll be safer with those than if you use "regular" 12 oz bottles. chimay, duvel and champagne bottles are the only ones i use for my brett'ed and soured beers. i don't always carbonate really high, but i like the security blanket of knowing the bottles can handle a little more pressure in case the bugs chew off a few more points.

Yeah, I do the same thing as sweetcell. All of my brett/sour/general belgian beers go into higher pressure bottles like the belgian 330's, capped or corked 750s and some of the German 500 mL bottles.

Matteo, have you ever corked before? It isn't completely straightforward with most homebrew corkers, but can be easily done once you work out a system. I've given a pretty thorough rundown of how I do it and I can give you the link for that if you want it. Or if you've done it before and know how it works, great.

I'd love a link to your corking method. I have a bunch of belgian bottles that only take corks but figured I needed a fancy floor corker.

I had read that you can mod the coronna corkers but those are still a little pricey. I don't have but will be buying a double lever corker to use to cork my wine with.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd love a link to your corking method. I have a bunch of belgian bottles that only take corks but figured I needed a fancy floor corker.

I had read that you can mod the coronna corkers but those are still a little pricey. I don't have but will be buying a double lever corker to use to cork my wine with.

I do have one of those floor corkers (but not a champagne corker) and that's what I use. The problem is you still have to do some manipulating because they are designed to fully cork bottles, not to leave some cork out as for champagne. I'm not sure if you would be able to cork bottles very well with a 2 arm type corker. I have used those for wine before and found it difficult to control the cork depth (even when i was only trying to push the cork completely in). So I think you do need a floor corker, but not necessarily one designed for champagne.

This system does work for a coronna corker, though it is definitely easier on the floor corker. Depending on how popular wine making is in your area, you might be able to find a floor corker on craigslist. It looks like portuguese floor corkers are about the same cost as a coronna corker/capper and I would suggest going for something like the former over the latter if you decide to go for something in that price range.

Here is the link:

http://horscategoriebrewing.blogspot.ca/2013/11/corking-your-homebrew.html

Thanks. I'm sure I will eventually find a floor corker. I haven't been checking the craiglist for corkers but I should start.

I do have one of those floor corkers (but not a champagne corker) and that's what I use. The problem is you still have to do some manipulating because they are designed to fully cork bottles, not to leave some cork out as for champagne. I'm not sure if you would be able to cork bottles very well with a 2 arm type corker. I have used those for wine before and found it difficult to control the cork depth (even when i was only trying to push the cork completely in). So I think you do need a floor corker, but not necessarily one designed for champagne.

This system does work for a coronna corker, though it is definitely easier on the floor corker. Depending on how popular wine making is in your area, you might be able to find a floor corker on craigslist. It looks like portuguese floor corkers are about the same cost as a coronna corker/capper and I would suggest going for something like the former over the latter if you decide to go for something in that price range.

Here is the link:

http://horscategoriebrewing.blogspot.ca/2013/11/corking-your-homebrew.html

Thanks for this info! I'll check it out, I have never corked before! Thanks so much!

Sure thing. Thanks for checking out the post! Good luck on your corker hunt mclaughlindw4.

Latest posts

Back