Bottles and labels.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamiltonkiler

Reaction score
Man scraping bottles clean is a pain.
Any tips? I'm using recycled bottles from our local wine shop girl. She has a plenty after a tasting.
Labels- do y'all print your own labels on sticker paper or order them? Online label makers price is way high.

Yep- stripping off labels are a pain. But a pain you only have to do once.
Hot water soaks with PBW or oxyclean help. Some of the labels will float right off, others are scraped off easier. The ones that have plastic labels or nuclear powered glue- skip them and put them in the recycling bin.
I write a 2-3 letter code on each cap, and make a label out of masking tape with the name and date brewed. Nothing fancy.

Need to get my ducks in a row and get these on paper.
strawberry summer crisp.jpeg
Screenshot_2018-05-31-15-19-45.jpeg

Oh shoot- sorry. I didn't see this was in the winemaking side of the forum.
I do make a couple wines each year- 1G batches so I only need 4 bottles. The oxy soak doesn't consistently work as well, so I do wind up doing some scraping.
For labels I've used the Avery brand Arched labels #22826. 4 labels per sheet. Made up a design on my computer and print them off.
Reminds me- I need to order a new batch of labels. My Maple wine is about ready to bottle.

I've heard of people heating bottles up in the oven at low temp so that the glue used to adhere the label becomes soft and the labels can then be easily peeled off. Don't know the temperature they used and I bet it varies depending on the label adhesive used. Maybe something to give a shot sometime

You can buy reusable water bottle, which is easy to clean & use. I feel it’s good to switch from plastic bottles to reusable ones.

Back