Bottled my first batch this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
Not sure why people complain so much about it. It only took about an hour start to finish including clean up. I thought it was kind of fun actually. The only mistake I almost had was not stiring before I bottled. I racked the beer onto the bottling sugar mixture, and had filled one bottle before I remembered. So I carefully put that one back in the bucket, stired and started filling bottles.

The first few were hard to tell when it was getting close to full. I stoped and put a desklamp under the table and that helped imensely.

Now I have to wait....:(

I never complained about bottling because like you, it really only took about an hour. But after kegging for the first time I will admit that I never want to bottle a whole batch again. :D

Oh I will be kegging at somepoint in the near future, just have to ease the SWMBO into this obsession slowly.

My brewing process has been tweeked so that it's about 45 minutes or so. It's really not a difficult thing, if you make the process work you.

That's why I put together this thread; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

i read that thread before on this site,its worth a look, i recrute the help of a family member who will be drinking a couple to "just cap,it will only take a couple of minutes:mug:" for me

SWMBO likes to bottle...I never complain. She does not even like beer...HUH??

Now the difficult part begins. Your beer will show signs of carbonation after a week or so. However, the longer you wait the better the beer will be. There are many threads on this forum regarding how long you should wait before drinking your first bottle. The general consensus is to wait 3 weeks for full carbonation. My past experience has shown 3 weeks to be about the right amount of time for carbonation to fully set in.

Now the difficult part begins. Your beer will show signs of carbonation after a week or so. However, the longer you wait the better the beer will be. There are many threads on this forum regarding how long you should wait before drinking your first bottle. The general consensus is to wait 3 weeks for full carbonation. My past experience has shown 3 weeks to be about the right amount of time for carbonation to fully set in.

This is about right for the majority of beers, but I've definitely had outliers in both directions; I had a kristalweizen that carbed fully in a week, and I've had numerous bigger beers that took 6+ weeks to carbonate.

What 'signs of carbonation" do you see when you look at your bottles? Except for the odd bottle krausen on occasion, I've never seen anything that would tell ME my bottles are carbonated or not. At least in glass bottles. Plasticbottles will get rock hard, but there's no definitive visual cue to when a bottle is carbed, let alone conditioned. You may get sediment in some beers almost immedietly, and others, there may be very little yeast on the bottom (most of mine, after a month in primary have very little sediment in the bottom.)

It's better not to advocate looking for something that may or may not occur depending on the beer/grainbill, etc. Rather, just waiting to open the first beer after 3 weeks. But not stressing if they aren't ready by then.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up, and needed another 6 months to condition.

Back