Bottled my first batch, and its cloudy???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dentdr

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch this evening and I notice that the wart I was bottling way very cloudy like apple cider is this normal? and will it clear in the bottles as carbonation builds???

Yes, that is normal. The priming sugar will feed on the residual yeast in the bottles and create the carbonation. As the sugars have been consumed, the yeast will fall to the bottom of the bottle and the beer will "clear". Remember, some beer styles are designed to be a bit cloudy...wheat beers especially.

Plus most beers are filtered yours is not main thing your goin for is taste

I would guess you bottled early. My beers are at least 4 weeks before they go in the bottle, and generally they are crystal at that time. Letting the beer clear in the fermenter means very little sediment in the bottle.

Providing you reached FG, then everything will be fine and it will clear naturally, but you will get a lot of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

I would guess you bottled early. My beers are at least 4 weeks before they go in the bottle, and generally they are crystal at that time. Letting the beer clear in the fermenter means very little sediment in the bottle.

Providing you reached FG, then everything will be fine and it will clear naturally, but you will get a lot of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

+1

but don't worry about it, it should clear up as it conditions in bottles. just give it at least 3 weeks at 70 or so to carb and condition properly.

The cloudiness could be a number of things. How long in primary/ secondary?

I did as the directions told me with one week (7 day) fermentation on a true brew oktoberfest kit.My OG was 1.042 and my FG was steady @ 1.020 for more than 5 days with a temp. of 66 deg. No secondary fermentation.

I did as the directions told me with one week (7 day) fermentation on a true brew oktoberfest kit.My OG was 1.042 and my FG was steady @ 1.020 for more than 5 days with a temp. of 66 deg. No secondary fermentation.

The kit instructions to bottle at one week are intended to get you beer quickly, not good beer. Your yeast wasn't finished with the beer and you bottled too soon. Give this beer 3 weeks in the bottle to carbonate and don't leave it in the bottle too long as it will continue to carbonate from the residual sugars that weren't consumed in that one week fermentation and you will either get beer that pours more head than beer or gushers when you open them.

For your next batch, ignore the instructions on when to bottle since they are wrong. Yeast doesn't follow a schedule. It does its own thing at the time it wants. Try leaving your beer in the fermenter much longer, like 3 to 4 weeks to let the yeast finish with all the sugars, the esters, anything else it wants to eat and then clump together to settle to the bottom before bottling. You'll end up with better tasting and clearer beer for your patience.

The next step to better tasting beer will be temperature control during the fermentation.

You might want to read this thread. why are kit instructions so horrible ?

And then take some advice from folks who have been doing this awhile....

Even John Palmer in how to brew says-
How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

But, it will clear in time, but if it's really cloudy you'll probably have a lot of sediment in the bottom. You'll just have to pour to the shoulder and leave the little blop of yeastiness behind.

One thing as well, and you'll probably hate, but after the 3 weeks or more your beer might take to carb, the longer you fridge it after will help with the clarity. It will help more yeast settle out and let it compact in the bottom of the bottle.

I did as the directions told me with one week (7 day) fermentation on a true brew oktoberfest kit.My OG was 1.042 and my FG was steady @ 1.020 for more than 5 days with a temp. of 66 deg.

I can be pretty sure that at 1.020 the yeast were not finished. You will have gushers, maybe worse. Drink them quick as you have the potential for bottle bombs.

I honestly hope that your first batch of beer does not steer you away from an awesome hobby. I, however, would recommend that you put those bottles in a tub of some sort and cover with a tarp. I suspect bottle bombs are in your future.
Read more before your next batch, just not the kit directions!

I can be pretty sure that at 1.020 the yeast were not finished. You will have gushers, maybe worse. Drink them quick as you have the potential for bottle bombs.

Not necessarily true, search the 1.020 or 1.018 curse, something along those lines.

Basically a mystical barrier that you can not ferment below using certain brands of malt extract.

This sounds EXACTLY like my first brew 2 months ago.

My beer is now clear, although it took a while, and it tastes ok. There is a LOT of sediment in my bottles, but (for me) no bombs. I have my second brew fermenting now, or rather, it's probably done mostly, but it has been there in the FV for 15 days now and I think I'll have time this weekend to bottle- if not I guess I can leave it another week without too much worry.

My problem now is that with the long primary, and having only brewed once before, I have no pipeline and only around six pint bottles of brew #1 left... They'll all be gone long before this stout is ready. Planning my next already and considering reusing my yeast this time.

This is what mine looked like (it's one of those kits that claims to be a lager but seems to be an ale really from reading this forum). I sent the pic to a brewing friend who said (it'll be fine or RDWHAHB or something!)

Looking back makes me cringe!

image-4069720791.jpg

My problem now is that with the long primary, and having only brewed once before, I have no pipeline and only around six pint bottles of brew #1 left... They'll all be gone long before this stout is ready. Planning my next already and considering reusing my yeast this time.

Now is the time to fix that problem. Fermenter buckets are only about $15 with lid and airlock so go get another one (or 2 or 3 .....) and get your pipeline filled quickly. You then have the option of having one that is quick to drink while your longer term beer is maturing.

jump_xiii said:
This sounds EXACTLY like my first brew 2 months ago.

My beer is now clear, although it took a while, and it tastes ok. There is a LOT of sediment in my bottles, but (for me) no bombs. I have my second brew fermenting now, or rather, it's probably done mostly, but it has been there in the FV for 15 days now and I think I'll have time this weekend to bottle- if not I guess I can leave it another week without too much worry.

This is what mine looked like (it's one of those kits that claims to be a lager but seems to be an ale really from reading this forum). I sent the pic to a brewing friend who said (it'll be fine or RDWHAHB or something!)

Looking back makes me cringe!

I had the same experience as this guy on my first brew. Put your bottles in a safe place and wait two weeks to have one. Fridge it for 48 hrs of course. And report back..i bet you'll love it

Hey all, thanks for all the great feed back on my OP, its been just about 2 weeks in the bottles and it looks great and taste great. NO BOTTLE BOMBS!!! whooo hooooo, see photo below. Cant wait to brew the next batch!

beer.jpg

awesome! :rockin:

looks great...now i'll send you my address so i can confirm these findings...

I suspect the Fairy Dust had something to do with the success of that beer. :)

jump_xiii said:
But this is one I had tonight: (7 weeks in bottles will change a lot!)

kscarrington said:
I suspect the Fairy Dust had something to do with the success of that beer. :)

SWMBO is into fairies and stuff- we have them all over. She gets them, I get home brew stuff- I can live with that!

It's all good, just an observation! Depending on the camera angle there could be Barbie's all over in the background at our place.

I just kind of showed up one afternoon with beer brewing supplies. So far neither the time, smell, or cleanup has been a problem with her. Should allow me to ease into this new hobby/obsession.

jump_xiii said:
SWMBO is into fairies and stuff- we have them all over. She gets them, I get home brew stuff- I can live with that!

Back