Bottled my beer to early what will the results be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krc333

Reaction score
So I had a total brain freeze and I bottled my beer too early I think. I made a Fat Tire batch and I bottled it after only being in the primary for 7 days. It had pretty much stopped fermenting which is why I thought it had been sitting for two weeks, but then my wife gave me a told so when she showed me the calendar. Should I let it sit in the bottles longer than usual? I normally start drinking it after 14 days in the bottles.

Do you have any specific gravity readings? Those would help you know for sure. You're probably ok, but may have alot more sediment in the bottles. Unless it wasn't done fermenting, then you could have overcarbed bottles or worse.

If it was not done fermenting in the primary and you added the normal amount of carbonation, you could wind up with bottle bombs or, at least, gushers. Handle them carefully.

TL

No, I just started brewing again and back in the day we never did gravity readings. I did it on my last beer but this one i didn't. I'm guessing it will be fine, but it just won't turn out like a Fat Tire but still drinkable. I've been checking them every day because i'm a little worried of them exploding.

Yeah - be ware of bottle bombs. I would put them somwhere where they are out of the way and if a few explode it will not be a big deal to clean up.

Good thing i'm only working a half day so i can check them and put down some plastic down under them.

Every brewer should take notes. Software will take care of this for you. At a minimum you should record your recipe, starting and finishing gravities, and date brewed. Why people put hours of effort into trying to make a good beer, then skip a few simple steps that could potentially ruin a batch is beyond me.

Latest posts

Back