bottled for the first time tonight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapo

Reaction score
Ok so I posted this morn about bottling buckets, and SWMBO was quite pleased that I let her sleep then took her out shopping. To my delight, she was unexpectedly ok with making a trip to Dans, and picked up a bottling wand tip. I bottled my first two batches tonight, and have a few 650 ml's left over, as well as a ton of regular screw tops to take to the depot tomorrow to exchange, (or trade someone) for more pop tops to bottle my Dec 1st batch. Extract brews are all being worked out of my pipeline, and I'm stoked to move on and brew better for cheaper (lots of grain sources around). Goooooooo brewing! Lmao...

Edit: I had to fix a few typos, I was up laaaaate bottling. I was apparently going to trade screw tops for screw tops? Thought I better change that :ban:

Cheapo said:
Ok so I posted this morn about bottling buckets, and SWMBO WS quite pleased that I let her sleep then took her out shopping. To my delight, she was unexpectedly ok with making a trip to Dans, and picked up a bottling wand tip. I bottled my first two batches tonight, and have a few 650 mel's left over, as well as a ton of reg screw tops to take to the depot tomorrow to exchange, (or trade someone) for more screw tops to bottle my Dec 1st batch. Extract brews are all being worked out of my pipeline, and I'm stoked to move on and brew better for cheaper (lots of grain sources around). Goooooooo brewing! Lmao...

Glad to hear you first experience was great. Don't mean to burst your bubble but bottling can get very tiring at points. I mean I have my days I love it and my days I hate it. Either way buddy great job on bottling your first glass :cheers:

Hey Derby, yeah it was a lot of fun. Had to take pictures of my first ever bottled beer :rockin: It was actually very very clear, mind you it did sit in primary since November 23. I did one clear bottle in each batch to watch it clearing, but I don't think that's going to be an issue for that batch. The pumpkin ale is going to be interesting to watch though, there was some sediment in that one.

Don't worry you aren't bursting my bubble, I've fallen in love with brewing and I enjoy watching each one fill up, one at a time....satisfying :)

Cheapo said:
Hey Derby, yeah it was a lot of fun. Had to take pictures of my first ever bottled beer :rockin: It was actually very very clear, mind you it did sit in primary since November 23. I did one clear bottle in each batch to watch it clearing, but I don't think that's going to be an issue for that batch. The pumpkin ale is going to be interesting to watch though, there was some sediment in that one.

Don't worry you aren't bursting my bubble, I've fallen in love with brewing and I enjoy watching each one fill up, one at a time....satisfying :)

I agree there is something about piling up a batch of bottle freshly filled with beer you brewed that makes ya feel like ya really accomplished a great thing. Wait till ya have friends over and they try your homebrew and love it. Nothing better. I still bottle myself as well. I will post a pic of my last batch it was a English pale ale. Very promising taste test before bottling. Got any bottling pics? :cheers:

image-1750092185.jpg

image-1344165111.jpg

image-263396933.jpg

image-1259540318.jpg

Wow yours just looks tasty! What is that in your glass?
I do have a pic....never mind the Caesar label, its just one clear bottle I had kicking around. I really need to scrub labels off of bottles.........

ForumRunner_20130106_103729.jpg

I also notice your siphoning pics what is that you've got sticking out of the carboy? And the beer going into your pail- is that ok to get a few bubbles happening without it adding too much air into the brew?

Looks good. I see you did a little bit of dry hopping. I've only had the opportunity to use pellets for that but the flowers look so cool.

The only suggestion I would make is to put the output of the hose at the bottom of the bucket so there's minimal air contact/splashing as it fills. If you put the hose at an angle in this way, you get a spiral effect that can help distribute your bottling sugar if you don't stir it in.

That's my taste tester. What's sticking out of my carboy is my auto siphon. It's usually sitting up a lot higher was just that one time thing. Should be fine. The dry hop really hit it off.

@arrheinous- I don't think the mixing is a problem, I put the bottling wand tip in the bucket and it circulates pretty well, plus I stir gently a few times for good measure. I'm sort of OCD in that regard, I wouldn't want to offer someone a homebrew and have it flat/undercarbed.

Cheapo said:
@arrheinous- I don't think the mixing is a problem, I put the bottling wand tip in the bucket and it circulates pretty well, plus I stir gently a few times for good measure. I'm sort of OCD in that regard, I wouldn't want to offer someone a homebrew and have it flat/undercarbed.

Yea I always put my cone sugar and water in first then fill. The used a sanitized spoon to mix well. Never had a problem in my life. How long you gonna condition cheap?

2 week minimum before I start sampling, but 6 weeks for sure before I start sharing ;)

I did yes, it was pretty tasty. First batch might have been a bit weak but second (with the pumpkin spice) was very good and needed only the kick of carbonation ;) I poured a bit for experiments sake into my glass of PA, in fact, and it flavored the whole glass quite nicely!

I'm a bit jealous! Trying to keep myself busy with craft beers until its time to start sampling. I'd really rather leave it longer, but I decided I should treat it as a learning experience and have a taste of the green beer as it matures. Plus, keeps the fun in it ;)

Cheapo said:
I'm a bit jealous! Trying to keep myself busy with craft beers until its time to start sampling. I'd really rather leave it longer, but I decided I should treat it as a learning experience and have a taste of the green beer as it matures. Plus, keeps the fun in it ;)

It's fun to do. You see you the beer changes with age.

Back