Bottled and tasted my Blond (smoked malt question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajm163

Reaction score
It is a pretty unique blond with flaked oats and smoked malt... It is still green but i think its going to be pretty good. Interestingly enough the smoked malt gave it a hint of Bourbon flavor that I was not expecting. This was my first time using smoked malt so was wondering if this is common?? If you want more details on the recipe and tasting they are here http://angryocelotbrewing.blogspot.com

Tasting at the top recipe a few posts down.

thanks

Aaron

If by bourbon, you mean vanilla or nutty or alcoholic... then my theory would be that some smoked malts (you don't specify a type) can combine with chlorophenols in your water source to create different kinds of phenols. Vanilla is one of them. Medicinal is another.

I find that some people who use cherry-wood smoked malts really get the "medicinal" phenol going. Not a good thing.

good to know I will have to check on that exactly the smoked malt was (I think it was cherry). There is defiantly some vanilla but no Medicinal flavors thankfully

This beer is finally carbed and interestingly enough the bourbon taste is completely gone now. It is a really great beer. Prob the best beer I have made in 5 years or so of brewing. It tastes like a much lighter version of Newcastle which was unexpected but fantastic. You can find the recipe as well as more details on the beer on my blog

Back