Bottle VS. Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
I have bottled most of my beers to date. Bought a keg setup which i cant get right so i am back to bottling for now. The question i have is one better than the other? Keg VS. bottle are they = taste and flavor profile wise? In the end does it all boil down to personal preferance?

The question i have is one better than the other?

In short; YES. Kegging. You will understand after you keg your first batch. No mess, less time, fewer F bombs

An aside: It doesn't taste different really in the end, but they do carb up faster

I enjoy kegging for the same reasons stated by gallagherman. No bottles to clean, no mess from the bottling process, etc

I'm interested in knowing what kind of problems you had with kegging...

I love draft beer so I skipped bottling altogether and went straight to kegging.

I'm not saying bottling is bad... I just knew it wasn't the right solution for me.

Go with what suits you.

i just kegged my first ever home brew, and i have to say I am glad I didn't have to deal with bottle washing and bottle filling and bottle capping.

in the time it takes a bottler to rack from primary to bottle bucket I had already finished because I just put the lid on and purged with co2.... set it and forget it.

-=Jason=-

Both have advantages. I bottle things that I want to age a long time and won't drink quickly (RISes, barleywines, quads/BDSAs, most sours, etc) and keg the more sessionable/younger drinking stuff.

kegged 4 batches. one i naturally carbonated it was a belgian tripel that was decent. the other three had the most offensive metalic flavor ever. sadly i dumped almost 10gal of beer because of it. I know i have problems 2 work out was just curious if one actually tasted better than the other.

I feel that naturally carbonated beer has finer bubbles, so i seldom use CO2 to carb. I like to keg half and bottle half. Gives the best of both worlds...

If you ask 10 homebrewers there opinion. Youll get 11 answers...

I keg now (10kegs) and if needed bottle from the kegs, but I also like to bottle a few Belgian Style beers (6pk+/-) to compare.

The one really plus to kegging is being able to dry the kegs.

I feel that naturally carbonated beer has finer bubbles, so i seldom use CO2 to carb.

I did a number of test batchs back to back and never saw any difference, only thing was I now had kegs with yeast sludge.

If you ask 10 homebrewers there opinion. Youll get 11 answers...

LOL, much like herding kittens:mug:

Back