Bottle vs. Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtpro

Reaction score
So I was at my friends older brothers place the other day, and his fridge was like a temple of worship to the god of beer. Dogfish 90, pangea, Allagash White, Dead Guy, SN celebration. . . and it was all on the house, I was pumped. So as I guiltlessly indulged on fine beer it became more apparent that this guy didnt really buy this stuff because he appreciates craft brew, but more just because he has the money to, as evidenced by the fact that they were drinking everything straight from the bottle.

I find this to be a crime against craft beer, especially an IPA, you're losing out on all the hop aroma and all you're gonna pick up is the bitterness. I actually took my homebrew to a party the other night and drank it straight from the bottle just out of convenience and it was a completely different beer. I just dont think that the average beer drinker really appreciates how important it is to liberate your beer from its glass prison.

I use to go straight from the bottle all the time and never realized what I was missing out on...now if I bring brews the the party I bring a glass with a nice bulb to it (I have a few that I've borrowed from some pubs - SA, Carlsburg) that all my beers get poured in to.

Realize how much you miss out on I will never go back to the bottle...unless (heaven-forbid) I am forced to drink beer flavored water (bud/coors) =p

He may really enjoy the beer, but just not be tuned in yet to the difference pouring it out into a glass can make. Maybe strike up a conversation about it next time asking for a glass and discussing how it really opens up the aroma and flavors of the beer. If he's really into beer, he'd be into the conversation.... Of course it may be just be him trying to impress, however if he's picking those beers up, he has to at least have SOME appreciation of the craft. And in the end, if he's not, enjoy the free beer! ;)

At a party not too long ago I showed a bunch of people just how much better beer tastes in the glass. I had one Lagunitas IPA in the bottle and another poured into the glass, let them taste both side by side and explained to them the differences they were tasting. Nobody drank from the bottle the rest of the night.

I drink straight from the can. Always and without exception.

I am a convert - I now ONLY drink beer from a glass!

However, I wrap the glass in a paper bag - just for old times sake:drunk:

Latest posts

Back