Bottle storage orientation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jump_xiii

Reaction score
I know that if you're making wine and using real cork you're supposed to store the wine certain times vertical and then mostly horizontal to prevent the cork drying out and letting in oxygen.

Is there any reason to/not to store bottles on their side post carbonation? Or even during carbonation? I personally would think - based on no previous knowledge - that once the beer has cleared and the sediment settled to the bottom storing it lying down wouldn't be a problem.

Anyone got any experience or thoughts?

Since you bottle seal should be airtight, and the cap won't shrink, I can't imagine a benefit from storing bottles inverted... but I can't imagine an issue, either.

I'll be interested to see what more experienced brewers say.

The yeast sediment will collect on the side and in the neck of the bottle. Assuming you take it out of storage and put it in the fridge standing up to chill/let the yeast settle to the bottom, I don't see why it would be a problem.

I store my bottles upright. Yeast sediment collects on the bottom and refuses to pour out even if I upend the bottle. If you store on its side, there will be more yeast in suspension and you will get more sediment in the glass.

Yep, technically you can at the trade-off of more sediment being stirred around. The yeast/sediment compact nicely when stored up right (simliar to how it makes a nice cake in the bottom of the carboy) just on a smaller scale. If you dont mind sediment, or are brewing a style that warrants more sediment in the glass, then it wont matter. I suppose it could pose a cleaning concern later as well if you end up with dried sediment all over the side of the bottle potentially.

Back