Bottle sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

Reaction score
Since I don't have a bin big enough to hold 50 bottles I was thinking of filling them with sanatizing solution insted of completly submerging them. Will this be less effective?

i guess it would work, but sounds like a royal pain. You don't have to sanitize them all at once. You can do a small load and them move them to drip dry while you soak the next small load.

You even really don't need to fill or submerge the bottles. Many of us use a vinator;

vinator.jpg

Just three squirts is enough to do it. In a pinch get yourself a spray bottle and do the same thing.

There's a lot of bottling tips in here you might find helpful.

http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/images/vinator.jpg

I seal my sanitized bottles with sanitized aluminum foil "caps" after soaking. that way I'm ready to bottle as needed.

You even really don't need to fill or submerge the bottles. Many of us use a vinator;

vinator.jpg

Just three squirts is enough to do it. In a pinch get yourself a spray bottle and do the same thing.

There's a lot of bottling tips in here you might find helpful.

http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/images/vinator.jpg

that's my next purchase!... Since I'm now a "star san convert"

I seal my sanitized bottles with sanitized aluminum foil "caps" after soaking. that way I'm ready to bottle as needed.

Personally I don't trust any method where you are not sanitizing fresh. Especially since most of our sanitizers are no-rinse/wet contact sanitizers, meaning they are at their most effective when wet and coating the inside of the bottles.

If it is dry, the minute you were to remove the foil, the first airborne micro-organism that lands on/in the bottle, just rendered your bottles no longer sanitized.

Even when I bottle process a batch of bottle- Soaking labels or seriously cleaning them, I may sanitize them on that day...But come bottling day I always sanitize fresh.

I can sanitize and bottle a batch of beer in about an hour, so there's really no need to risk infection by cutting corners with sanitization.

Do you have a 7 gallon bucket fermenter? Since I use that to mix my priming sugar/beer, it has to be sanitized first so I kill 2 birds with one stone and fill that with BTF and water, then put as many bottles submerged as I can. Usually takes just over 2 loads.

A+ on the vinator that is what I use. My last run with it I use Saniclean instead of star san (Ya I know DFTF) but I like the low foaming when bottling.

Do you have a 7 gallon bucket fermenter? Since I use that to mix my priming sugar/beer, it has to be sanitized first so I kill 2 birds with one stone and fill that with BTF and water, then put as many bottles submerged as I can. Usually takes just over 2 loads.

NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!

Don't sanitize in your fermenter or your bottling bucket. If you haven't noticed, many types of beer bottles have rough bottoms or sharp ridges, all you need is a few scratches in your fermenter or bottling bucket from that to have a nice breeding ground for infections than are quite hard to ever sanitize past again.

If you use a bucket, get one as a dedicated slop/sanitizing bucket, like a soy sauce bucket. And only sanitize in that.

Your beer is only as protected as your sanitization, and the quality of your gear. Don't go out of your way to do anything in a fermenter or bottling bucket that could potentially scratch it.

NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!

Don't sanitize in your fermenter or your bottling bucket. If you haven't noticed, many types of beer bottles have rough bottoms or sharp ridges, all you need is a few scratches in your fermenter or bottling bucket from that to have a nice breeding ground for infections than are quite hard to ever sanitize past again.

If you use a bucket, get one as a dedicated slop/sanitizing bucket, like a soy sauce bucket. And only sanitize in that.

Your beer is only as protected as your sanitization, and the quality of your gear. Don't go out of your way to do anything in a fermenter or bottling bucket that could potentially scratch it.

+1 on this advice!:mug:

i guess it would work, but sounds like a royal pain. You don't have to sanitize them all at once. You can do a small load and them move them to drip dry while you soak the next small load.

I just keep an old bucket that I place my most recent brew day gallon or two of Star San in. I will drink a bottle of beer, rinse the bottle then let it soak in that covered bucket.

I do though make up a fresh batch on bottling day and sanitize everything again. You don't need to, "fill" all bottles and carboys with the stuff, rinse and swirl works fine.

Could I let an Iodophor solution sit in them for extended periods of time or will this have a negative effect? I was thinking of cleaning them filling them with the solution and then leaving them until a few hours before they're needed, rinsing them out with boiled water right before bottling

My method works easy and goes quick...
...Sanitize bottling bucket with a few gallons of Iodophor solution and drain into sink. Submerge bottles and bottling equipment and drain on in my second sink on a sanitized drying rack. I do 12 bottles at a time and the whole process with clean up is done in 1 hour. I forget who's idea it was but bottling over the dishwasher door was GENIUS!!!

could you use that same pump tool with a bleach solution?

Back