Bottle sanitizing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmedic43

Reaction score
I know I have seen this on here before but I am unable to relocate it. I have heard of some people sanitizing their bottles in the dishwasher and have been told it is acceptable sanitization. I also heard something about not using a rinse agent like Jet Dry but am unsure the reasoning. Also, if I use that type of agent in my dishwasher, how many loads should the dishwasher be run once it is gone to remove any trace of it? (I know every dishwasher is different but an approximate would be great). Also, say I sanitize my bottles in the dishwasher with Jet Dry and then soak them in my sanitizer (in my case LD Carlson company "Easy Clean") will that take away the ill effects of the Jet Dry?? Thank you all very much for the info, will hopefully be bottling soon.

Secondary: English Boch Kit
In line: Not quite sure yet, suggestions will be considered.

So long as your bottles are already washed free of any dirt, debris, or sticky residue I think you could skip the dishwasher step.

I think people said to not use jetdry because it will kill the "head" of the beer. I suspect following with normal step of sanitizing the bottle would remove the residue.

I just dunk my bottles in a solution of 5g of water + 1 oz bleach, then adding 1 oz vinegar to the mixed water/bleach solution (never mix bleach/vinegar directly or people start dropping).

It's easy, fast, and cheap. I think using this solution along with a bottle brush you could clean out bottle that might have residue left and sanitize them at the same time.

Jet dry is a rinsing agent that helps prevent spots on your glassware. It also prevents proper head formation so some people wash their barware by hand. I just dont use it in my dishwasher. Period.

My sanitization process really begins when I empty a bottle into my glass. I rinse it twice with clean tap water and a vigorius shake, then inspect to verify the sediment is off the bottom. Next I up end it to drain as much moisture as possible (mold requires moisture to grow) top rack of dishwasher is what I use (also helps me remember how many hyome brews I had today, LOL) then it goes back in the fridge until I have a 6er of empties. (frige is a low humidity fairly clean environment) The empties go into the empty case to keep the dust out until the day before brew day. On the day before brew day, the bottles all go into the dishwasher mouth down and through a full cycle including sanitize dry with no soap and no rinsing agent. On brew day I use a vintator to squirt starsan into the bottle. Then fill, cap and condition. Repeat from beginning as required.

I generally take care of my bottles in one of two ways depending on time and availability: You can put them in the dishwasher and use PBW as the agent without any rinse agent, works well and if you have a sanitize cycle you're done. Otherwise I normally soak and clean in PBW and then the same with star san.

Also, regular care of your bottles helps meaning when empty be sure to rinse thoroughly and drip dry, saves a lot of work when you are ready to re-use them.

Yes jet dry will make your beer have no head, the same way it makes the glass have no spots. it is essencially an oil (like when you stick your finger in the head it kills it)

I dont think "easy clean" is actually a sanatizer, its a no rinse cleaner. Bleach is a rinse cleaner.

To sanatize bottles I make up some "starsan" in the bottling bucket and run it out into the bottles in small amounts, shake, dump, and put on the drying tree. this allows me to steralize bottles, and all the other equipment at the same time. For bottle cleaning I soak bottles in PBW in the laundry sink and scrub with a bottle brush, rince dry and store till bottling day.

Latest posts

Back