Bottle sanitizing in the oven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried that when I first started brewing. Just put them in the oven and slowly bring temp up to 350, then cool. Seemed to work OK, but I use StarSan now.

Cheers

It's not a bad thing to do in the winter. You get free heat as a byproduct.

But it's an energy waster & takes a long time vs 1 minute with Star-San or Iodophor

Most of the people that do this aren't sanitizing their bottles they are sterilizing them. You really don't need sterile condtions for brewing beer.

If you are cultivating yeast than sterile conditions are good. Brewing beer sterile condition is overkill.

Heat treating my bottles is the way to go, some might call it a waste of time and energy. I'll just call it peace of mind. I've tried the star-san thing and it left a bad taste, whats the point of using a no rinse sanitiser if you have to rinse . Just clean your bottles stack them in the oven set to 350 for 30min the night before you bottle and don't open it untill you are ready. as for the caps I boil a few cups of water for 15min turn off the heat and throw in the caps.

Latest posts

Back