Bottle Sanitization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super64

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I boiled and spritzed with SanStar about twice as many bottles as I needed to bottle my batch.

Each bottle top was foil wrapped and the unused bottles are still wrapped, are sitting in a box covered by a sheet.

Are they still clean or do I need to boil them again?

Thanks.

If you cleaned and sanitized them, then sealed them, there is no reason for anything nasty to be living in them

Heard once its dried, its not effective anymore. That's my 2centz

Technically true, however, you're talking about a surface that is now locked away from contaminants (bottles covered with foil). Anything that was in the bottle has already been dealt with and nothing else can get in. Safe.

FYI, commercial breweries get new glass in bulk. Since nothing organic has been in the bottles, they are not considered a harbor for spoilage organisms. Typically, you will see the bottles go through a rinser of some sort... there may or may not be a no rinse sanitizer cycle used... then the glass goes straight to bottling. I worked at Bell's in the early days. All beers were either bottle or keg conditioned. When we were using new glass, the bottles were rinsed by hand with a jet bottle washer using straight, hot tap water. Period. Rinse the day before bottling. Bottle. Done.

wailingguitar said:
Technically true, however, you're talking about a surface that is now locked away from contaminants (bottles covered with foil). Anything that was in the bottle has already been dealt with and nothing else can get in. Safe.

FYI, commercial breweries get new glass in bulk. Since nothing organic has been in the bottles, they are not considered a harbor for spoilage organisms. Typically, you will see the bottles go through a rinser of some sort... there may or may not be a no rinse sanitizer cycle used... then the glass goes straight to bottling. I worked at Bell's in the early days. All beers were either bottle or keg conditioned. When we were using new glass, the bottles were rinsed by hand with a jet bottle washer using straight, hot tap water. Period. Rinse the day before bottling. Bottle. Done.

Nice to learn something new. Thanks for the info.

Back