bottle sanitation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsman

Reaction score
Hi all, i use a no rinse sanitizer the kind you put 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon. I filled up a spray bottle and give 2 sprays to the inside of a cleaned bottle and shake any thing left out of bottle. Does this seem sufficient enough prior to bottling?

It sounds like you're using Easy Clean or a similar product, which are good cleaners, but weak sanitizers. I would recommend using StarSan as a sanitizer, and buying a vinator, which will make bottling day a lot easier.:fro:

It sounds like you're using Easy Clean or a similar product, which are good cleaners, but weak sanitizers. I would recommend using StarSan as a sanitizer, and buying a vinator, which will make bottling day a lot easier.:fro:

This is exactly what I do. Buying the Vinator was one of the best investments I've bought, certainly the best investment for anything I've done bottling wise. Starsan in the Vinator, push down twice, empty of sanitizer, and then directly fill up with homebrew from there and then cap.

I just fill my bottling bucket with sanitizer solution to sanitize the bucket, use the spigot to get the sanitizer into the bottles, one the bottles are full, drain the rest of the bucket into a bowl, pull of the spigot and put it into the bowl of sanitizer, and voila everything is sanitized :)

This is exactly what I do. Buying the Vinator was one of the best investments I've bought, certainly the best investment for anything I've done bottling wise. Starsan in the Vinator, push down twice, empty of sanitizer, and then directly fill up with homebrew from there and then cap.

What he said. My setup also. Check out the bottling sticky for the Revvy dishwasher trick as well.

Sudsman, I do it just like you do (when I bottle). Just make sure it is a good sanitizer, like Starsan, and your golden.

Thanks guys I think I will buy a better sanitizer instead of no rinse cleaner such as starzan. The spray bottle seems easy and i have read about it on this awsome site!!!! I only have 2 brews under my belt , an american amber which is still conditioning and a blonde ale in primary. I am hooked!!!!! I just dont want to make the nubee mistakes to F**!!)) up time put in for hopeful rewards. thanks again for all input.

GREAT SWILLING!

I would not pull a bottle that had been in storage for XX months out and just sanatize it and expect to be good to go.

I know that when I put an empty bottle into storage for the next batch, I rince them a few times, maybe add a bit of dish soap if I remember, rince, and throw them into the storage case. There's no way they stay clean throughout that whole period. So much can go wrong....mold, mildew, even soap residue from not rinsing completely.

So, when I pull that bottle out to use it for the next batch, just spraying with a bit of sanatizer isn't going to cut it. Mold, mildew, and and residual soap scum are likely to nto be visable, and while a few sprays of sanitizer may neutralize these factors, it isn't going to eliminate them.

On bottling day, I fill up the sink with warm water and oxyclean. I flood each bottle, shake the crap out of them rince with tap water, do a quick spot check for any nasties at the bottom, then put them upside down to dry. Once I finish, I go in reverse order and either spray with starsan or make a new sinkfull of starsan solution and flood each one again, and again store upside down to drip dry.

Takes me about 30-45 min or so to clean and sanatize a batch of bottles.

Back