Bottle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I bottle in mason jars?
Thanks

No. That would be jarring or canning. ;)

But in all seriousness, sure, you can store stuff in a jar. However, I'm not too sure about how airtight it would be. Assumedly, it'd be fairly airtight if you use new seals and caps. Another thing to consider is that mason jars are typically clear, not really a color that is best suited for aging.

All in all, if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that you could store mead in a mason jar for 2 years if kept in a cool, dark place, and assuming the seals are brand spanking new.

Is this just for looks? Bottles are pretty cheap.

You can put mead into a whole range of bottles, so you have a lot of options. It depends a lot on how you intend to drink it, and what kind of equipment you have.

I personally prefer to use basic beer bottles because I have a lot of them around, and I have a good capper. If you plan to carbonate your mead this will definitely be the easiest option for you but they work fine for still mead too.

However, mead is usually sold in wine bottles with corks, so you can also use those. Any color wine bottle will work, since mead is not so sensitive to light like beer is (but don't leave it in a clear bottle out on your sunny porch for months on end). When I use wine bottles I use whatever I can get my hands on for free, and size #8 1 3/4" first quality corks.

Bottling style is really mostly a question of taste. There are disagreements and discussions about what is best for aging (and I'm not going to weigh in on it because I don't know enough), but I make my choices based on what bottles I have on hand.

Back