Bottle priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdjtexas

Reaction score
Is 3/4 cup corn sugar way to much for 4 gallons of beer to carb in the bottle? I know it's more than prescribed but I just wanna know if I should expect bottle bombs or not

Probably not bottle bombs, but likely way over carbonated depending on the style...if its a hefe or a Belgian ale, then you are probably fine.

It's always better to measure priming sugar (or any dry ingredient for that matter) by weight instead of volume. Recently Alton Brown did a demo where he had two identical sized containers of flour one where the flour appeared to fill more of the container then the other. When he weighed them the larger appearing volume of flour actually weighed the same as the container that appeared to have less. Dry material will settle. So measuring by volume is faulty.

So get a cheap digital scale and weigh out your sugar instead. You can get one for 20 bucks at most big box stores.

That being the case, the "standard" for producing between 2 and 2.5 volumes of co2 (the average carb level for most beers) is 1 ounce/gallon of beer.

Latest posts

Back