Bottle Prep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgrumbrews

Reaction score
Someone recently told me that it was ok to clean bottles by running them in the dish washer with dishwashing detergent. I know using dish soap is a no no. I've never heard anything about detergent so I figured I would see what you kids think/know.

Pilgrumbrews said:
Someone recently told me that it was ok to clean bottles by running them in the dish washer with dishwashing detergent. I know using dish soap is a no no. I've never heard anything about detergent so I figured I would see what you kids think/know.

Run them on high heat cycle with NO detergent soap or anything just water. The heat pasteurizes them and you can immediately bottle after its done.

Make sure they are lightly scrubbed before going into the dishwasher. Ex: no mold or gunk on the inside

Worked for me for a year with no batches contaminated.

Awesome. That sounds like a much better plan. I had a feeling that the detergent would be a bad idea. Thanks

Be cautious of new high efficiency washers. They will run rinse agent no matter what setting you pick. Rinse agent will not do your beer any favors :)

Usually i got my bottles rainsed two times or more with plain water after two or four hours that has been used to avoid sticking in the bottom. sumerged in warm water for a night and scrub them with a aluminium brush.. they came very easy
and in the bottling day i scrub them very well in the inside and finally submerged and a little more scrub in Star san... there you go!

I run mine in the normal cycle with no soap,detergents,anyting. After they cool down its all good for bottling....Never a problem.

Latest posts

Back