bottle labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could recommend a program, for making bottle labels, I would like to make some custom labels, to take to parties, mabe show off a little and try to get some more people interested in making beer.
any info would be appreciated...Thanks

BTW....I've made some of my own labels using powerpoint. It kind of limits you on what you can do but it allows you to add pictures and stuff and has options to use different styles of text. A couple of mine didn't turn out too shabby--kind of plain but they get the point across. You can buy printer paper that has a stcky backing to apply the labels to your bottles. They come off WAY easier than the nasty glue used on commercial bottles, but if you throw your homebrews in a cooler with ice/water, the print fades and runs easily.
Its a cheaper way than using the www.myownlabels.com option.

orrelse said:
BTW....I've made some of my own labels using powerpoint. It kind of limits you on what you can do but it allows you to add pictures and stuff and has options to use different styles of text. A couple of mine didn't turn out too shabby--kind of plain but they get the point across. You can buy printer paper that has a stcky backing to apply the labels to your bottles. They come off WAY easier than the nasty glue used on commercial bottles, but if you throw your homebrews in a cooler with ice/water, the print fades and runs easily.
Its a cheaper way than using the www.myownlabels.com option.
Thanks for the info, I am gonna give it a shot.

I used QuarkExpress and then used sheet lables and cut them out...... I make 13 cases for my wedding a few years back......

Naming the brew and making the labels is about 50% of the fun! I've made only 4 batches since I started brewing again (after 40 years when I was in college). What I found is that people in my family ask is there any "bug-eye brew" left, or "can you bring some of your April Amber?" I've really enjoyed that part of the brewing project.

I purchased some of the labels from the My Own Label site, they look great, but are really expensive.

Using shipping labels on you printer doesn't work, because you can't get them off your bottles very easily when you are ready to recycle to another batch. Here is what I finally found works best:

Design your label in any good word processor or graphic program using the "print label" choices. Print on PLAIN PAPER (I use 24 lb extra white), just as if they were labels.

Cut them on a paper cutter (to get nice straight lines).

Mix Elmer's glue (or any wood glue that is water soluble) about 1/2 glue to 1/2 water. Use a small paintbrush and paint the back of your label and put on the bottle. The glue comes right off when you wash the bottles for re-use.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Anyone else enjoy the labels as much (almost) as the product?

fsinger said:
Design your label in any good word processor or graphic program using the "print label" choices. Print on PLAIN PAPER (I use 24 lb extra white), just as if they were labels.

Cut them on a paper cutter (to get nice straight lines).

Mix Elmer's glue (or any wood glue that is water soluble) about 1/2 glue to 1/2 water. Use a small paintbrush and paint the back of your label and put on the bottle. The glue comes right off when you wash the bottles for re-use.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Anyone else enjoy the labels as much (almost) as the product?

Hmmm...good tip!
I don't seem to have the problems getting the old labels off when I use shipping labels. The oxyclean soak really does the trick. I usually find all of the lables floating around in the bucket after an hour. No labor involved, usually.

Good idea on the plain paper and elmers. Guess I never thought of that? :(

On occasion I'll make out a label or two when giving them to a friend as a sampler pack. Usually add some humorous crap on it as well. Found a coat of arms graphic for my name and spin everthing around that in MS Publisher.

For my own consumption I don't bother. I keep track on what is what by color code with a little splotch of enamel paint on the cap for whats inside. (Wife has a wide variety of model type paint) Right now its:

Green - Oatmeal Stout
Gold - APA
Yellow - Negra Modelo clone
Plain - Honey Rasberry crap from hell (think it's bad or something...)

Tell ya, this works great for keeping track. Just started this about 2 weeks ago as the stock has grown.

I've been trying to find some blank stock 'static cling' (like the oil change places put on the inside of your winshield). I was thinking of using that for beers or yeast bottles in the fridge. You couldn't print them but they would be reusable if you took the time to save them till you brewed that kind of beer again. Also, absolutely no mess / trouble removing it! Can simply write on those with a Sharpie and throw them on the bottle.Anyone seen any? Large sheet or label size would be fine as I could cut them up on a paper cutter.

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'll keep my eye out but I don't recall seeing anything like that. My only issue with that is that I'd probably lose every label I "lend" out with my beers. I can hardly get half of the empties back.

I just use those file folder label, about 1x4".

I have a program that I can put 4 circles on each label and then print the type of beer and the batch number on it. I just cut them out and place them on the caps (unless they are flippies with plastic tops). Then I just make up 1 label and use it to hold the wire down so it doesn't open.

Back