Bottle issue question.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubdrop

Reaction score
So I have made 3 partial mash batches. I'm a little puzzled as to why my head is non existent when chilled. Is there a period of time the beer needs to be cooled before head appears. You crack a room temp brew and its out of control head.
Any thoughts?

Colder beer can withhold more co2 in solution. The colder it is, the less likely it will be released, hence less head.

How much priming sugar are you using (I'm assuming a 5 gallon batch, if not let s know what size).

The previous poster is right on, more CO2 will dissolve in the beer at a lower temperature, which means less will be released when you open the bottle and pour.

On the other hand, the 'period of time' thing might be relevant as well. How long are you letting the bottles sit at room temperature to carbonate, and how long are you keeping them in the fridge before drinking them?

5 gal batches. 5oz of priming sugar dissolved into a pint of water, boiled and brought to room temp.
Example- Bavarian Wheat was bottled on 2-25. Put one in before work yesterday morning and went to drink it at 7pm and no head. Was in the fridge for 12 hours. I also tried one in the freezer for an hour to see how that turned out. The only one with head was a warm one and it had plenty. The others had nothing.
Now I will be going to kegs soon, but will still have bottles in play and just want to figure it out.
Thanks!

I often would chill a beer for awhile, then take it out the fridge and let it sit for 10 minutes or so before opening to achieve a decent head.

Make sure your glassware your pouring into is well rinsed. I have much better results with head retention now that I handwash my pint glasses in warm soapy water instead of washing them in the dishwasher (with Jet Dry). Stuff like Jet Dry ruins the head retention of glassware and bottles. I handwash and rinse very thoroughly. This won't solve your problem, but might at least help a little if you've been using Jet Dry...

I often would chill a beer for awhile, then take it out the fridge and let it sit for 10 minutes or so before opening to achieve a decent head.

^This got me to thinking about a discussion Gary Wilson had on his show. The more he let a beer warm up,the more flavors he noticed. Say,from 45F-55F somewhere. I was thinking maybe serve it at 42-45F.?

^This got me to thinking about a discussion Gary Wilson had on his show. The more he let a beer warm up,the more flavors he noticed. Say,from 45F-55F somewhere. I was thinking maybe serve it at 42-45F.?

Makes sense since they say ice cold beer shocks the tastebuds and you can't fully appreciate the flavors. I like to let mine sit out about 10 minutes or so, too...if it helps with head retention too then that's an extra bonus.

Makes sense since they say ice cold beer shocks the tastebuds and you can't fully appreciate the flavors. I like to let mine sit out about 10 minutes or so, too...if it helps with head retention too then that's an extra bonus.

That's what I thought,that it should improve his head problem...uh huh huh uh huh...he said head problem!

Thanks for the help. I have a family gathering on the 19th and wax in charge of the beer so I did a wheat and ipa. Just wanting to make sure they look good cause the taste is there for sure.

Back