bottle half, dry hop half?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtonbaton

Reaction score
So my first 5gal batch (a Sierra Nevada Pale clone) has been in primary for two weeks and my FG has been the same (right below target) for 3 days. I was planning to bottle it all tomorrow; however, I was given an ounce of whole leaf Centennial and was wondering if I could bottle half of the batch and put the other half (2.5-3 gal) in a 5gal secondary and dry hop it with the Centennial for a week. I have to go out of town for two weeks at that point, so that's why only 1 week in secondary (3 weeks would be the other option). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

No reason why you couldn't, it'll be a nice comparison for you to see how much Aroma Dry Hopping adds.

Definitely try the dry-hopping, however I would recommend going for only one week. When dry hopping for longer periods the hops can sometimes impart a grassiness. I normally dry hop for 5-7 days and I get the results I want.

You could even leave half in the primary and dry hop there, since the fermentation is done. One less transfer and container to clean.

Back