bottle day stir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuyser

Reaction score
K So what do most of you do. For the last 2 bottle days (only bottled 2 brews so far), I mxi the priming sugar let cool and place in bottom of bottling bucket as directed. Have a new extract kit from a different vendor and they say on bottling day to place the prim mix on bottom of bucket at beer and then give a slight stir, being careful not to splash..

Question is how many of you give your brews a stir with priming sugar in it?

I have heard that if you transfer from fermenter to bottling bucket with a siphon with enough gravity (say 4-5') there is plenty of flow coming out of the tube into the bottling bucket for sufficient mixing in of the pre-disolved priming sugar. That is what I do and my beers carb up fine.

You don't want to get air into your beer at this point so if you stir do so very slowly, no splash.

I think Revvy was talking about doing an experiment one of these days with some food coloring added so people could see the difference between stirring and letting the siphon do it for you. Moral of the story when he was talking, it should sufficiently mix in with racking over the sugar. Though, I may let him chime in if he sees this thread.

jhuyser said:
K So what do most of you do. For the last 2 bottle days (only bottled 2 brews so far), I mxi the priming sugar let cool and place in bottom of bottling bucket as directed. Have a new extract kit from a different vendor and they say on bottling day to place the prim mix on bottom of bucket at beer and then give a slight stir, being careful not to splash..

Question is how many of you give your brews a stir with priming sugar in it?

I have stirred and not stirred. Not sure it makes a difference.

I think most variation in carbonation in bottles across a single batch goes away after 3-4 weeks in the bottle. This suggest time is the most important element in making sure carbonation is even through out a batch.

Thats what I did on my first batch after getting the internet opinion. I racked into the bottling bucket and placed the tube so it made a whirlpool (on the bottom) and put half in at begining and half in at half full. But then I also read its very important to leave the racking cane in the bucket so you can stir slowly as you bottle to keep that from settling letting some bottles over carb and towards the end some will be under carbed.

I try and research it to death and then form my own. And of course I ask here :)

Back