bottle critical mass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
I've bottled every batch I've made so far (with the occasional tap a draft bottle in there) so I've hoarded all my bottles from micros I buy. Well, I reached the point where I have more than enough bottles to keep brewing and could throw them away, but I don't.

Then I got a kegging system and a couple kegs so I can keg my batches and only need bottles for when I don't have a free keg or want to enter some bottles in a comp. So I really don't need the bottles I have now.

But every time I drink a store bought beer, I look at the bottle... then I look at the recycling bin... then back at the bottle... and I rinse it out and store it away.

SWMBO is going crazy as more and more bottles are piling up, but I keep hoarding them like my most prized possessions. I can't throw them out. I can't recycle them. I can't even bring myself to give them away.

Am I turning in to the homebrew equivalent of the crazy cat lady?
cat-lady-simpsons2_35223974.jpg

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person with this obsession. I've recycled some lately but suffer incredible pangs of guilt over it.

Dude, you might need one.
If not, I'll drive down and help a brother out...

I'm planning on bottling my currently fermenting IIPA in 12 ouncers, which I have more than enough of. My next brew should be the first one to go into a keg. For some reason though I keep collecting and de-labeling bottles!

Calm down....Had the same problem....Buy more brewing equipment! That way you need more space in closet or wherever those bottles are now. Always remember, recycling is a good thing. They have good glass that keeps people working by melting and reproducing a lot of products out of said recycled glass.

Like beer mugs!

RDWHAHB :mug:

Is it wrong that I want a little corner of protected space where I can just flick bottles against the wall and smash them? I think it is a good outlet for some of the end-of-day-crazy.

Note: This idea came from a university Res rule that made only cans acceptable in res... one of the guys I knew had a bottle smash situation under his desk in res. Common practice at parties was to smash the bottles at the wall under the desk. Eventually it piled up and resulted in the bottle ban.

I always freak that I don't have enough bottles. Meanwhile there is at least 6 doz sitting in a closet still labeled and uncleaned. They will be used. Just need to build the pipeline more.

I can relate with you.

3 cases at the condo. 6 in storage locker.
4 5 gallon cornies and 6 3 gallons.
carboys and buckets... oh my.

yes. my home LOOKS like a brewery. Except for SWMBO's area which has her two-box World of Warcraft setup, her crochet stuff and whatever other evil things she does while I am at work. :)

post them on craiglist for five bucks a case, someone will buy them and you can buy more brewing equipment

post them on craiglist for five bucks a case, someone will buy them and you can buy more brewing equipment

That's a good idea in theory. But that would involve me parting with some of them and that's the core of the problem. I'm a bottle hoarder!

I have a similar problem, the funny part is that whenever I go to the recycling center, I come home with more than I took.

I find swingtops there regularly, and lately have started bottling in champagne bottles

I have a similar problem, the funny part is that whenever I go to the recycling center, I come home with more than I took.

I find swingtops there regularly, and lately have started bottling in champagne bottles

Now that I can understand. I'd like to get my hands on a bunch of champagne bottles. I just keep hoarding regular longneck beer bottles.

Yeah I can relate. I just now after 4 or 5 years of saving bottles I have JUST maxed out my space for bottles, and have actually started returning them for the deposit. It STILL feels weird to do that......AND I still keep certain ones. like Hoegaarden and Sierra Nevada squat ones.

I'm with you Revvy. I've started phasing out my Sam Adams and other bottles that have print on them, but I still can't get rid of any bottle that has a unique shape. I've even resorted to buying alcohol just because I wanted the bottle. (Like the swingtop champagne bottles I bought for New Years)

I think I am a beer bottle snob.

I'm with you Revvy. I've started phasing out my Sam Adams and other bottles that have print on them, but I still can't get rid of any bottle that has a unique shape. I've even resorted to buying alcohol just because I wanted the bottle. (Like the swingtop champagne bottles I bought for New Years)

I think I am a beer bottle snob.

Oh yeah and I also keep bombers, fliptops, champagne bottles and Belgians. So I guess I'm really only getting rid of 12 boring old 12 ouncers

I'm trying to keep to interesting bottles like Orval and Hoegarrden and very plain bottles that will be good for comps. But it's so HAAARRRRD! *stamps foot* I don't WANNA let 'em go!!!! *commences 7-year old tantrum*

I live in a loft, so I have very little storage space, so bottles are carmmed all over the place, and theones that need to be re-washed and readied end up scattered all over the place. It's almost embarrasing to have folks over, because even if I only have 1 or 2 beers a night I have bottles all over the place.

The only good thing is that a milk crate will hold 1 case of 12 ouncers, and they stack as high as you dare stack them.

I am right there with you. I have several cases of bombers that I simply never use. I mean, I wash them out, sanitize them, and store them, but I always end up using the 12oz bottles because they are more easily transportable and work better for parties and the like.

But, I can't make myself recycle them, either. The worst part is that I routinely get new stuff in bombers when I'm trying out new beers from the store, so my bomber collection just keeps growing and growing.

I live in a loft, so I have very little storage space, so bottles are carmmed all over the place, and theones that need to be re-washed and readied end up scattered all over the place. It's almost embarrasing to have folks over, because even if I only have 1 or 2 beers a night I have bottles all over the place.

Sounds exactly like here! I really have to try to keep up on the empties, getting them rinsed out and stored away. If I don't, SWMBO complains that "The place looks like a freakin' BAR!"

Back