Bottle Conditioning Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkendrick

Reaction score
I have a Pliny the Elder clone that I bottled yesterday. I keep my fermenter under the stairs in a finished basement that stays a nice 65 degrees. I had the bottled beer at that temp for the first 24 hours as well. I want to be able to share one in about ten days and I'm wondering what the ideal bottle conditioning temp would be for speedier conditioning. I'll be able to control the temp until Wednesday morning. I moved it upstairs to a closet and set the AC (which we normally don't use) to 72. Thoughts?

passedpawn said:
10 days probably isn't enough. You might get some fizz, but the body of the beer probably won't have too much CO2.

Get it warm. 72 is a good temp, go higher if you can.

Yeah I know it's not ideal, and most bottles will be conditioned for much longer, but I want to be able to share one with my father-in-law on Fathers Day. You say go higher.... How much higher? Without AC the temp climbs into the 80s during the day. I thought that was too high. 75? 78?

In normal circumstances, rule of thumb is 70° for 3 weeks then 24 -48 hours or more in the fridge. I find that some are ready in 2 weeks and others take 4 weeks or more. It really depends on the beer. It will be carbed properly when it is ready to be and nothing we do will change that much without side effects - like gushers!

10 days? - low 70's and a prayer.

Back