Bottle Conditioning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusmedic

Reaction score
I've read a lot about giving an "Blah" beer more time to age in their bottle to help improve the taste. Is this "give it more time" done in the fridge or do you return the bottled batch back to 70?

It won't age in the fridge, the cold will make the yeast go dormant. Typically, it needs at least 3 weeks at room temp to carb up. Big beers (barleywines, RIS, etc.) will take longer.

Room temp is used for most conditioning. There are, however, some processes which can take place at colder temps which will mellow the flavor of a beer.

I've noticed an improvement in flavor in several beers after they've spent a few weeks sitting in a keg inside the keezer at 38*F. Same thing for a keg of 8% ABV apple cider stored a couple of months in my lagering freezer at 35 degrees. It was noticeably more mellow.

Carbonating & conditioning is best done at warm room temps of about 70F for 3-4 weeks in my experiences. Then maybe store in a cool basement to aid in longevity, fridging them as needed.

Slightly related question: Is it a problem if I put my bottles on their sides while they're carbing up? I don't have a ton of space but found a great warm spot (not in the basement, which is about 58* this time of year) for them to carb up, but do they need to be vertical?

They would be better off in a vertical position, as the sediment wouldn't be stuck to the sides of the bottles. The trub would more readily loosen & pour into the glass if stored horizontally.

Can I let them carb on their sides and then store vertically after 3 weeks of carbing or so to let trub settle to the bottom?

Back