Bottle Conditioning on an Angle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermenteverything

Reaction score
I want to build a rack that holds my grolsch bottles on a 90 degree angle so that while my brews condition, the yeast sediment collects in one corener of the bottle.

This would reduce the surface area of the yeast sediment, thereby reducing the amount that would be stirred up while gently pouring.

This seems like a simple idea, but I haven't heard of anyone else using it. If anbody has any reasons why please post here.

im going to start this by saying, i dont bottle. so all i have is theories. i think it would all settle in the corner but u would have to keep it at the angle all the way from aging to pouring. if at any point u put the bottle down on a flat surface the cake would want to work with gravity to get back to the bottom and flatten out. but at the same time stirring up a little.

also with having less surface area u will have a thicker layer. i think this would allow for the cake to be stirred up easier. the thin layer on the bottom typicaly is kinda stuck where it is for the most part because it is so thin. but being condensed it will be thicker and more mobile. meaning it will stir a lot easier.

like i said i dont bottle so i dont have much experience on how sediment acts but thats my best guess.

I think that's a fair theory. Especially the part about needing to keep the bottles at the same angle. Always.

Wait, wouldn't having the bottle at a 90° angle mean that the bottle is laying on its side? Do you mean a 45° angle?

and Trufleshufle13 is correct. You'd have to keep the bottle at an angle even in the refrigerator if you want the sediment to stay put. When you put it upright again, it will begin to spread out.

I do it, and yes the sediment disperses when the bottle is uprighted. I don't mind a little sediment
IMG_1410.jpg

Holy huge picture batman, mind resizing to like 400x500 pixels so wee can see it and read the thread without actually having to scroll for 10 minutes to find a button?

I don't know what the hecks going on with the big pics. Lately everything I pull up from photobucket comes out huge no matter which link I click on (img code, direct link) doesn't matter. can't seem to find a resizing option. sorry for side tracking the thread

H O L Y C R A P SuperJunior. You display you brew like a wine connoisseur.

Back to OP. I don't see a need to collect the sediment in the corner. Mine seems to condense into a thin little disk that sticks to the bottom even when up-righted. As long as I'm gentle with the pour, the whole thing stays put and I don't waste a drop of brew.

When you tip them upright for chilling, wouldn't most of the sediment right back on the bottom?

Back