Bottle conditioning not carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vin8n1

Reaction score
I have attempted to bottle condition some beer (which i have done successfully in the past) and after 2 weeks it is not showing any signs of being carbonated…
I brewed my NEIPA ~3 weeks ago with Verdant IPA yeast (1 whole packet in 2.5 gal). It fermented in 3 days at 68 and i left it sit in primary at 72 for another 4 days to make sure it finished. Then bottled, fermentor priming with 1oz of table sugar (for 2.5 gal minus trub) and 1/16 tsp of SMB (for oxidation protection). The bottles have been sitting 2 weeks in my house at ~70 degrees for 2 weeks.
Are the yeast pooped out?
Are the yeast messed up because of the SMB?
Did i use enough priming sugar?
Any ideas would be appreciated! :)

What he says. ^

SMB being Sodium MetaBisulfite?
No, that should not kill or inactivate your yeast.

Also, are the caps sealing well? Do you hear any "psst" when opening a bottle, or see little bubbles rising after opening the bottle?

The calculator for 2.5 gallons ar 70°F comes out to 1.6 volumes of CO2.

Might be your serving temperature is too low for that. So just let it warm up some after you pour and see what that results in.

Caps seal well. Makes the psst noise when i open. Should i go through and dose more sugar and recap? Thanks!

Caps seal well. Makes the psst noise when i open. Should i go through and dose more sugar and recap? Thanks!
Well, *IF* you have 25 bottles and you're about an ounce sugar light for the batch, means uncapping 25 bottles, getting a gram of sugar in ea one, and recapping. You do **NOT** want to pour all bottles back into bucket as you will mix a lot of O2 into the beer and they will oxidize badly. OR you could dissolve the needed amount of sugar into a small amount of water and use a syringe to put the calculated amount into each uncapped bottle and recap. It'll be a pain no matter what, so you also just have some undercarbonated beer and try again next batch.

1 oz of table sugar for 2.5 gallons simply isn’t enough. Use a bottle conditioning calculator next time to determine the correct amount. I like northern brewer’s. Brewer’s Friend also has one.

Invite some friends over, don't chill the beer so cold and enough carbonation will show itself to satisfy your tastes. Then the 25 bottles will be empty and you can start again.

Fussing and worrying over one batch might get you so attached to it that you'll consider it a friend and you won't want to drink it!

Screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220529-113248_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220529-113248_Chrome.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 0
1 oz of table sugar for 2.5 gallons simply isn’t enough. Use a bottle conditioning calculator next time to determine the correct amount. I like northern brewer’s. Brewer’s Friend also has one.
I used Brewers friend? Maybe i put something in wrong

Im gonna try and recarb with the dissolved sugar method just for the heck of it. Only 15 bottles so not too bad. I will have to double check the priming sugar calc next time. Thanks for all the great advice!

Im gonna try and recarb with the dissolved sugar method just for the heck of it. Only 15 bottles so not too bad. I will have to double check the priming sugar calc next time. Thanks for all the great advice!
You can reuse the caps by carefully prying/lifting them by going around the edge. Add your dissolved sugar* (e.g., syringe) and recrimp. One bottle at a time.

* Using completely dissolved sugar prevents foaming upon adding, due to lack of nucleation sites.

Typically I use 5 - 5.3 oz of cornsugar for a 5 - 5.25G batch and that has been widely recommended for years in the hobby (unless it’s a Belgian, for example). 2.5G would require 1/2 that for the same result.

Typically I use 5 - 5.3 oz of cornsugar for a 5 - 5.25G batch and that has been widely recommended for years in the hobby
Exactly! ^

Or 4.5 oz of table sugar (sucrose) per 5 gallons. You would use a little less than half of that for your est. 2.25 gallons: 2.0-2.1 oz of table sugar.
First subtract what you've added before, and maybe add 10% more due to reopening.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

I use the Brewer’s Friend priming calculator to determine the amount of table sugar to add before bottling. Most of my 2.5 gallon batches result in 24 12-ounce bottles being filled. Typically, my goal is to carbonate to 2.4 to 2.5 volumes, which requires 2+ ounces of table sugar, assuming a max temperature of 70F for the finished beer. I make a boiled sugar solution, and dose each bottle with this solution via an oral syringe before filling with beer. This method results in well carbonated beer for me.

Back