Bottle conditioning at lower temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbambuti

Reaction score
I just bottled a Wee Heavy that fermented for 3 weeks at about 60 degrees. I used Nottingham because of its ability to ferment at lower temps. I know that bottle carbing at the same temp will take longer, but I'm wondering if I'm doing my beer a disservice by not carbing at 70 degrees. I figured I should carb at the same temperature as I fermented. The beer met its final OG with no problem. As this is a big beer that needs to age for at least a couple of months, I'm not particularly concerned with quick carbonation. I just want to be sure that I'm not doing anything that will hinder long-term carbonation prospects.

Thanks in advance.

The lower temps will be just fine for carbing your beer, especially if there is no rush to get it done. Just make sure that the beer doesn't get too cold. Nottingham should be good through the mid-50s, so just make sure it stays 55F or higher during conditioning to make sure that they carb up ok. Good luck!

Back