Bottle conditioned cider in only 18 hours???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dribbles

Reaction score
Hey everybody. First post with a question for the masses. I've got a cider and an AG Belgian Ale done and gone under my belt and I'm in the process of wrapping up cider batch #2 and my AG Porter is recovering from a stuck fermentation but seems to be in track.

My first batch of cider turned out much better than hoped. I had an OG of 1.060 aiming for an FG of around 1.016. I stopped the fermentation early because my wife didn't want a 6.0% cider so it ended around 5.5% with an FG of 1.020. I back sweetened it with a can of frozen apple juice concentrate and bottled it. I then stovetop pasteurized 4 days later and had 1 explode in the pot on me. Other than the one bomb the rest turned out great.

My second cider had an OG of 1.050 and FG of 1.015 before back sweetening 1.023 after. I bottled this cider on Thursday afternoon. I got the tip to bottle one in plastic to help judge carb level and tonight when I checked it, the plastic bottle seemed like its good to go. Does 18 hours-ish seem like enough time to carb up? I would like to avoid blowing up anymore of the nice swingtop bottles my wife got me for Father's Day. I used Redstar champagne yeast with both batches if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hard to tell without actually feeling that bottle myself but I use the EZ cap swing tops and they are thicker than regular bottles and can take more pressure. I've never had one of those blow on me pasturizing. If you think its close open the plastic bottle and sample it. If you think it needs a little more let it go another day or so if not pasturize.

Thanks.

Turns out my late night math is pretty bad. It was more like 36 hours since bottling so I don't feel as crazy thinking it was a fast carb. I'm going to pasteurize today since I don't want to risk anymore bombs. I've also got the EZ cap bottles so I probably would have had all bottle bombs if I had used regular bottles. We will see how this batch tastes. At the last minute I decided to steep some grated ginger with the concentrate before back sweetening because my wife liked the Angry Orchard Apple Ginger so much.

My first cider carbed up in something like 10 hours. Needless to say I was unprepared for it and had to recap all my bottles before pasteurizing.

My advice is it's ready when it's ready. Just keep an eye on that plastic bottle.

I just finished pasteurizing the batch. No explosions this time. I definitely recommend bottling one plastic bottle in the batch to keep up with the carb process. Bottle bombs are no fun and dangerous.

They should be ready to go into the fridge tonight and ready to crack open tomorrow.

I just finished pasteurizing the batch. No explosions this time. I definitely recommend bottling one plastic bottle in the batch to keep up with the carb process. Bottle bombs are no fun and dangerous.

They should be ready to go into the fridge tonight and ready to crack open tomorrow.

The bottle is always a good idea. Let me know how the ginger thing works out! I have 5 gallons of straight apple going now and was deciding what to add in secondary: mug:

Well my fears were almost completely unfounded. I popped open a bottle today and it was only very lightly carbed.

The ginger was a nice touch. I put in too much for my wife's taste. My taste buds have been destroyed by years of government food that I only sense a hint of ginger flavor.

My inspiration came from Alton Brown's Ginger Ale recipe that I've done several times. We had a bottle of Angry Orchard Apple Ginger for side by side comparison. Mine wasn't as sweet but had a much bigger ginger kick to it. Next time I'll use about half as much then compare again.

Well my fears were almost completely unfounded. I popped open a bottle today and it was only very lightly carbed.

The ginger was a nice touch. I put in too much for my wife's taste. My taste buds have been destroyed by years of government food that I only sense a hint of ginger flavor.

My inspiration came from Alton Brown's Ginger Ale recipe that I've done several times. We had a bottle of Angry Orchard Apple Ginger for side by side comparison. Mine wasn't as sweet but had a much bigger ginger kick to it. Next time I'll use about half as much then compare again.

Just fyi Angry Orchard is likely chock full of artificial apple flavors to make it that sweet

What is your process? I heat my water up to 195ish, cut the heat to the stove and switch it to a cold burner and let them sit for 15 minutes, never had a problem, though I never let my plastic bottle get TOO firm.

My process to pasteurize is straight out of the stickie. Heat to 190, cut the heat, put bottles in for 10 min, then remove to cool.

My one explosion happened the first time I ever brewed. I didn't have a good sense of the carbonation even after I opened one to check before I pasteurized. This next batch I used the plastic bottle to judge.

I don't think I'll have anymore bottle bombs if I stick with the plastic bottle technique. I just need to keep an unopened bottle of soda around so I have an idea of what it should feel like when its pressurized.

What kind of yeast are you using? I have used EC1118 Wine Yeast, and I have used WYeast Cider Liquid Yeast, both of these easily fermented to 1.000 for me. If I stopped them at 1.015 or 1.020, and let them sit in the bottle for 3 or 4 days, I'm sure they would have kept fermenting and carbing the bottles, maybe that is part of the issue. If you want lower alcohol Cider, then add less sugar in it, and just let it fully ferment out.

What kind of yeast are you using? I have used EC1118 Wine Yeast, and I have used WYeast Cider Liquid Yeast, both of these easily fermented to 1.000 for me. If I stopped them at 1.015 or 1.020, and let them sit in the bottle for 3 or 4 days, I'm sure they would have kept fermenting and carbing the bottles, maybe that is part of the issue. If you want lower alcohol Cider, then add less sugar in it, and just let it fully ferment out.

Lower abv is not the issue I don't think. I think its back sweetening. Which you definately have to pasturize after.

Back