Bottle Condition Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtisCummings

Reaction score
What temp range is it safe to bottle condition at? My garage is sitting at 50- 54 this winter. I would like to keep the bottles there but can move them if necessary.

If it matters on style, I am doing a Bavarian Hef.

If you are bottle carbonating you would want to keep the bottles at fermentation temps for the yeast you used. After 4+ weeks in the bottles at fermentation temps it is usually safe to drop the storage temps.

No,50's temps are way to cold,& the yeast will go dormant. Bring them in the house to a room or closet that's close to or at 70F. You need that temp to get them to carbonate & condition well in a reasonable time.

Makes since. I already brought them in. They only were out there for ~9 hrs. We keep our house at 64 deg during the winter months. I may need to get a electric space heater for the spare bedroom (aka brewery) for both my primary's and bottles.

Makes since. I already brought them in. They only were out there for ~9 hrs. We keep our house at 64 deg during the winter months. I may need to get a electric space heater for the spare bedroom (aka brewery) for both my primary's and bottles.

Most (if not all) ale yeasts are very comfortable at 64 degrees F :tank:

I used Muntons Premium Gold dry yeast and according to BYO the temperature range is 57-77°. I fermented for 3 weeks at 66-68. I'm bottling this weekend and was going to condition at around 68-70 but I'm tempted to let them warm up a bit to get a faster carbonation. Would this be a problem (or alternatively will there be no benefit for getting the beer ready quicker)?
If I can warm it up, how warm can I get (ambient room temperature is around 78-80 but I have a temperature controleld freezer so can pick whatever is good).

Once you start going above 70, the carbonation process does speed up, but you also start to get some off flavors, like esters. These off flavors are easily conditioned out, but it takes an extra 4-6 weeks of conditioning in my experience.

Under 70 and the beer conditions VERY cleanly, so conditioning time is shortened, but required carbonation time increases.

Over 70, and the beer carbs very quickly, but required conditioning time inceases.

70 is the optimum carbing and conditioning temp to maximize clean taste and carbonation in the least amount of time.

I bottle condition in the basement that is around 65-66 degrees and have always had great carbonation. I've read anywhere from 60-70 degrees is fine.

You want to stay close to 70F for bottle conditioning for the average time frames given. The further away from that you get,the longer it'll take. 60F would be too cool to carbonate & condition in 3-4 weeks.

Back