Bottle Conditioing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isaacf

Reaction score
I am looking to go straight from fermenter to keg. Is there any reason that beer has to age in bottles or are kegs just fine? If so, is there anything special I need to know about conditioning/aging in a keg?

Kegs are perfect vessels to age in. The only disadvantage is that you're taking a keg out of rotation for a long time. Then again, it's not as if they're much more expensive than glass fermenters (which I'd recommend for aging over a plastic one, though not strictly necessary). Honestly, knowing what I know now, I'd have purchased more kegs are fewer fermenters over the years.

If you're aging for a long time, maybe just check every couple months to make sure it's holding pressure (more to the point, that it's all CO2 in there).

Beer doesn't have to age in bottles, but like jack said, aging in a keg basically means one of your kegs is tied up and not being used for however long you decide to age. Keeping bottles in the cellar isn't getting in the way of production, but doing that with a keg most likely will.

Back