Bottle cleaning tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleFarmBrew

Reaction score
I am a relatively new brewer. I have brewed and bottled around 10 batches so far. Anyways I have 24 bomber bottles which have been empty and sitting in the basement and in the bottom ring of the inside of the bottle there is some solids that will not wash out. (I realize I didn't clean them out well after they were emptied.) Anyways my question is, does anyone have an tips for getting this out of there? A brush won't reach it well enough. I considered soaking them in vinegar, salt water, or oxy clean. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1
Oxy clean and hot water. Stuff from the bottom will float out. Be sure to rinse very well, and dry them upside down until you're ready to sanitize and fill.

Oxyclean, yes. Then a bottle brush on an electric drill. Be careful if you use a corded electric drill. I cut the loop off one bottle brush just for this purpose. The tip can be bent a bit to wobble in the bottom of the bottle to clean the very outside.
Slip vinyl tubing over the shaft of the brush to prevent scratching in the bottle mouth.

Latest posts

Back