bottle carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steinaken

Reaction score
So I've made a few batches now, most of them seem to go down pretty well, I'm still working on one that I personally enjoy a lot, but fairly confident I will get there with patience. Im just owndering why the last 3 batches have all come out still - the first batch nearly over carbed (I had one bottle crack) but every batch since has just been still as water. The only thing I can think of is that I got a LOT less of the particulate into the the bottling bucked since the first brew, but it sounds odd to think I might just be taking no yeast over through the syphon.. doesnt it? or do I just need to leave it for a really long time? I'm not being shy with priming sugar, erring on the high side with plastic bottles, using drops in all so the glass should be bang on...

I recently used the drops in each bottle for the first time and they seem to take much longer to carbonate than corn sugar added to batch in the bucket just before bottling. I normally leave fresh bottles for 2 weeks before tasting - but will try one at a week sometimes. Usually you can tell the carbonation is progressing well at a week. Couldn’t tell much had happened with the drops. I know the drops are different sugar. I think they may just need more time. If your bottles are airtight, I’d give it a couple weeks at least. How long did you ferment before bottling? If your fermentation was vigorous and you bottled after say, 4 weeks, then I think you should have enough suspended yeast in the bottles to complete the carbonation.

Time is your friend here.. As long as your yeast is healthy, there will be enough in suspension to bottle carbonate even if you can't see it.

You need to make sure the bottles are tightly sealed, and that there is little headspace in the bottles. I've never done plastic, but you should be able to squeeze the air out of the top before capping, and they should "swell" as the yeast does its thing.

Are you bottle conditioning in favorable temps for the yeast? ~70 is great for many yeasts.

Things that could cause your yeast to not be healthy.. Higher ABV than the yeast can handle, excessive temp swings, chemicals or other things that kill yeast, filtering, etc...

Also, the carb tabs need to fully dissolve before, I have not always had such luck with the ones that look like hard candy.. cane sugar cubes seem to work better for me when bottle dosing, otherwise, look at batch dosing(give it a gentle swirl).

Viable yeast is still in suspension when the beer looks clear and is ready to package. Sometimes high gravity beers need more yeast (a different strain) to consume the priming sugar, but the majority of beer doesn’t.
Possible issues preventing carbing could be, forgot to add the sugar, temperature isn’t warm enough, caps are on properly to provide a good seal, enough time has not passed.

+1 to carb drops taking a bit longer. Also my experience.

I mainly bottle prime. When I used drops, it was often 3-4 weeks for me to really get some good carbonation going. If it is high ABV, it will probably take a bit longer as well.

Unless your fermenter has been sitting for an excessive amount of time, you'll have enough yeast transferred to carbonate with siphoning. My lagers all carb up well and they're generally in the primary for nearly a month. Swirling the bottles slightly can help motivate things along as well. I'll usually pick up the entire case and swirl the entire case a couple of times get get some yeast and sugars suspended. Nothing aggressive or shaking, though.

I've never used plastics, but it seems like folks have had decent luck with them? I'd think they would be difficult to get airtight after the first couple of uses.

Ah bottle carbonating. It can be elusive, can it not? Hehe. Sometimes, I have had different levels of carb in the same batch. I've never used drops so I cannot speak to them. Are you only using PET bottles? Me, I use swing tops and then have one used 16oz soda bottle with a pressure gauge mounted onto the lid. Got the idea from a user here named Maylar. He and I have posted a couple pictures of the setup and in the pasteurization sticky, he gives the where to get.

That said, I'll fill my swing tops +1 (the bottle with the gauge). Leave at room temps (70 deg seems to be better) for about a week until the gauge reads about 35 psi. Then into the fridge where the pressure will drop for a few days, then rise back up. I've got a batch that's been in the fridge for about a month now and the gauged bottle is up to 40 psi.

I also seem to have had best results bottle carbing when I use EC-1118. Takes about a week. I've tried S-04 and then a conditioning yeast and it took almost two weeks and it still ended up very still. But all this during the winter here where I don't want to pay what it takes to keep my home 70 + degrees.

Last edited:
hmmm... I guess my main concern was that I might not be catching enough yeast. for whatever reason fermentation only takes about a week on average. The last batch went into a secondary for a week also (both times FG reading was 1.000 consistent across 2 reading 2 days apart, so was happy fermentation was done). will continue to keep bottles at 20C and give them time i guess. the next batch though, I think I will go back to priming sugar into the bucket :'D

Sneaking a post in from work has it's challenges . . . . and I ramble some. More details for you.

My fermentation takes about a week as well. I let it sit 'sur lees' for another week in primary, that helps it clear quite a bit. Then I'll rack into a gallon carboy with some priming sugar, usually 1-1/2 Tbsp for about five ten minutes, how ever long it takes to finish setting the bottles about.

Back