Bottle Carbing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyo_brews

Reaction score
I bottled my second beer a little over a week ago. I had a Super Bowl party yesterday and decided to crack one open just to try it and share with my friends. The bottle had really good pressure but little to no carbonation in the beer itself. Is this something to worry about or should I follow the normal advice and let it do it's thing and check back later?

Sent from my iPhone

You definitely need another week or so for optimal carbonation. Also be sure and chill the bottles in the fridge for a couple days to allow for the carbonation to saturate throughout the beer.

You're the first person EVER to crack a beer before it is ready !!!! I hope you feel completely embarrassed :)

j/k RDW

I always drink one barely carbed bottle of each batch. I'm as impatient as anyone out there. 2 weeks usually for full carb id its 5.5% or lower. Higher abv needs longer carb time.

After allowing 3-4 weeks at room temp to produce co2,they need a week in the fridge to get said co2 into solution. Plus allowing any chill haze to form & settle. Drinking them before fridge time will usually have a lot of compressed co2 in the head space,but little in solution. Hence fridge time.

Back