bottle carbing wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychedelic_brew

Reaction score
I have zero wine experience. Nice introduction, right? ;)

Anyway, my friend is bottling a batch of some mango/peach fruity thing and he happens to have some plastic 500ml bottles.

If we were to carb individual bottles just to see how much we enjoyed sparkling wine, how much would you add per 500ml? I'd assume a teaspoon of sugar or something, but then again...

I have zero wine experience.

edit: Also, whats the standard wait for a wine to carb? I'd assume 3 weeks like beer.

That's right, use just under a teaspoon (95%). Just remember that if you make the transition from plastic to glass, not to use regular wine bottles. Either use beer bottles or champagne. Hope that helps :)

Thanks! I believe it was just under a teaspoon per bottle. And yeah, he decided to carb a few because he had some of those 500ml screwtop plastic bottles, i've heard the horror stories of carbing wine bottles :p

I have a 10G batch of welch's wine working right now, and my plan is to carb at least a couple liters of it. If it sucks just leave the lid off and let it go flat again amirite?

Back