Bottle caps too small on some 12 oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorTom

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten any 12 oz bottles lately that were slightly larger around the top? I started bottling yesterday with some new bottles I got from brewmasters warehouse. At first I thought something was wrong with my capper and then I figured out that these new bottles were ever so slightly larger diameter around the lip. Just enough to make the cap not fit perfectly. I tested the same caps with some older bottles and they fit perfectly. I was using the silver colored oxy absorbing caps. I managed to get them on OK I think but I probably will throw the bottles away after drinking them. I imagine I will have several that won't hold the pressure to carb. Just wondering if this is a fluke in the bottle manufacturing process or is anyone else had this problem?

Never run into this before, but I've probably only ever bought 2 cases of new bottles. The rest of mine are recycled. I'd send them an e-mail or call them. You might at least get some new bottles out of the deal. I'm sure these probably cost you almost $20 a case with shipping.

I have never heard of this before either. I will have to test out some bottles tomorrow and see if you just got a weird case or something. Shoot me an email about it so I can follow up with you about it.

Thanks,

Ed

Back