Bottle Capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyC14

Reaction score
So the last couple beers I've bottled seem to have some oxidation after bottling. Is there a capper better than the typical red with the two pull downs for a better seal?

I have a kegging system on it's way but I'm still going to bottle for when I give it to friends.

If your beer carbonated as expected in the bottles, capping is not the problem.

Oxidation happens due to air (oxygen) coming in contact with your beer after fermentation starts. Using secondaries is notorious for causing oxidation (and infection) and unnecessary as there's nothing it cures. Leave in primary until ready to package.

When opening the fermenter to take gravity readings, add dry hops, etc., air gets in, the wider the opening, the faster. Avoid doing that, there are ways. Same when transferring to the bottling bucket, some ways are better. Hoppier beers suffer from oxidation faster than maltier ones, losing that in your face hop sensation.

Back