Bottle Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarcha

Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondering, would it be ok to transfer, my fermented beer to the bottling bucket and let it sit for a couple of days, then bottle.

Thanks Rich

I suppose that wouldn't hurt anything. Are you going to cover it? As long as it was sanitized it would be no different than any other vessel.

I'm guessing you want to free up your primary? I usually bottle first then brew second, but no harm really in going the other way 'round.

Yes you could (sanitized of course) but my question is why?

If you want your beer to clear then sitting in the bottle for a couple of weeks to carb and condition will clear up your beer just fine.

One I would like to free up my fermenter, and maybe clear up the beer just a little, Its already clear but if I do pickup a little trud I would like to cold crash it, and all would be sanitized.

Thanks Rich

One I would like to free up my fermenter, and maybe clear up the beer just a little, Its already clear but if I do pickup a little trud I would like to cold crash it, and all would be sanitized.

Thanks Rich

If you cold crash before bottling then you take a chance on putting your yeast to sleep which means you will get little or no carbonation. I always bottle, condition for ~3 weeks and after checking for carbonation, I put the whole lot in the fridge for at least a week or two more to clear up.

If you are concerned about getting some trub into the beer after racking to the bottling bucket don't worry about it. If you let the beer sit for a half hour or so most of the trub or sediment will drop to the bottom of the bottling bucket. Of course you want to be careful when racking to not get too much sediment in the transfer.

That clears up most of my questions, but if I wanted to save time would that be a bad thing. My schedule can be crazzy at times. Thanks for any info.

Rich

The only issue would be that some trub/yeast will settle out in those few days. This would be a good thing except that on bottling day, you have to add some sort of sugar for carbonation, which has to be mixed into the rest of the solution evenly to ensure equal carbonation of the bottles. Chances are, you'll be stirring the bucket to mix in the sugar, which will also re-mix the trub into the solution, which will go straight into your bottles. If you can stand to wait a few days, then rack into a bottling bucket and bottle immediately, I'd go that route, otherwise you'll end up with quite a bit more sediment on the bottom of each bottle than is desirable, which could lead to eventual off-flavors and just a general unappealing haze to your brew.

Considering you can get another fermentation bucket and lid for around $12-$15, isn't a much simpler solution to do this and you can let your beer stay longer and also do two batches at the same time?

Hi Copyright

That was my plan, 2 fermenters, but I really wanted to bottle friday night, and there is so much time involved when bottling 50+ bottles. Need time with family on weekends and work. Did it anyway, but will buy another fermenter this week. Hope the beer turns out OK, it should, beer still looked fairly clear after stirring, a little yeast, is fine. Thanks for all your info :mug:

Thanks Rich

I would not do this too much head space and risk of oxidation. In future do not move to bottling bucket till you are ready to bottle.

Hi Beerman1

What does head space mean at risk of oxidation, sorry all new to me.

Thanks Rich

The head space is from the top of your wort to the top of the bucket. During fermentation this area is filled with co2. when you move the beer from the primary to another bucket you are going to loose that blanket of co2 exposing your beer.

Back