bottle bucket??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookie1980

Reaction score
just a quick question, when i am ready to bottle do i need a second bucket to syphon into, or can i just syphon straight into bottles,

If you are bottle carbonating, you need to mix in priming solution (more sugar) so that your yeast can carb up the beer once it's bottled. One reason to use a bottling bucket is you can add the priming solution to it, then siphon your beer on top of it to get it evenly mixed.

If you are carb-tabbing or adding pre-measured amounts of priming solution to the bottles (note: not only is this more work but it is much more difficult to get even carbonation) you could hypothetically skip the bottling bucket, but you will need to find some other way to gravity feed to your bottles. If you have a bottling bucket with a spigot at the bottom, your gravity feed problems are solved already.

Also, they're cheap and easy to use, so provided you have the space for another bucket it's a worthwhile investment.

ok ty for reply, as it is my first batch i was plaining on using half carbonation tabs and half added sugar to bottles to see which i prefer, just so i got this right after fermination i let it sit in the same bucket for about 2 or 3 weeks approx, then if i was priming then i would transfer into other bucket then add sugar ect stir then bottle then wait 3 weeks and enjoy :)

then if i was priming then i would transfer into other bucket then add sugar ect stir then bottle

The easiest method is to boil the the priming solution water, add the sugar, let it cool and then add it to your empty bottling bucket. Then siphon from your fermenting vessel into the bottling bucket, siphoning straight into the priming solution. This mixes the solution evenly through the beer and minimizes sloshing of the wort at bottling time.

Congrats on your first batch! :mug:

It's not necessary to use a separate bottling bucket. I add the boiled (and cooled down) "priming solution" (sugar and water) to my primary. Gently stir and come back in about 20 - 30 minutes. I bottle right from there. I use that time to sanitize my bottles.

Back