Bottle Bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashort33

Reaction score
So my brewing buddy is a tried and true "add 3/4 tsp of corn sugar to each bottle" guy. Usually this doesn't bother me as he bottle conditions at his house :D This time I have my half of the bottles at my house. So the question is: If we have concocted a bottle bomb, how many days until it goes off? I don't really want to keep the bottles in the garage as temps are less than ideal, but I don't want the SWMBO putting a halt to my brew-activities because the kitchen or bathroom is covered in beer and glass....

Hard to tell. It all depends upon how active the yeast is, how far the fermentation was before you bottled, the temperature at which the bottles are stored, etc. I had a few bottles blow up and it does make a horrendous mess. For my bottling, I add 3/4 cup of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch. Not sure what the equates to per-bottle wise, but I find that is an adequate amount of carbonation.

Why not take one bottle and put it in a small cardboard box in the kitchen/bathroom. Whichever has the better temperature. That way if it explodes it will be more of a liquid mess than a glass/liquid mess.

Or you could put a bottle in each room. Line each box with a plastic bag of some sort. Minimize the mess in both places.
Assuming the boxes minimize light.

Just trying to give an idea without having to brew another batch. Or get in trouble with the SWMBO.

(Although the wrong temperature for the rest of the batch may not ferment properly. Could try to insulate the whole batch with a few layers of heavy duty plastic bags inside a cardboard box.)

It's just like cooking, experiment till you get it right.

I say just get a large heavy duty black garbage bag, put your boxes of bottled beer in there and use some duct tape to seal it shut, i dont see any bottle bombs getting through that as long as you have the bottles in cardboard as well.

I say just get a large heavy duty black garbage bag, put your boxes of bottled beer in there and use some duct tape to seal it shut, i dont see any bottle bombs getting through that as long as you have the bottles in cardboard as well.

Great idea - thanks!

Back