Bottle Bombs or Sweet/Flat Stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beattrane

Reaction score
Hi All- First time posting after using this forum as a resource for years.

So, for starters, I did something incredibly stupid and I don't really know what direction to go in. Had an Oatmeal stout with this configuration:

3.3 lb Light LME
3lb Dark DME
.5 Malodextrin
1lb oats
10oz Dark Chocolate grain
12oz 2-row Pals
6oz Victory

1oz vanilla beans soaked in 1 cup dark rum for 1 week.

Brewers Gold hops & Nottingham Yeast

Mashed grains at 155-160 for 45 min; boiled in LME/DMA and Malo for an hour. Chilled w/ sterile ice, added vanilla to fermenter, pitched Notty to about 75, stirred and took a OG reading (1.056).

Within 12 hours the airlock was going nuts. Have used Notty before and wasn't too concerned. 5 hours later and the krausen is coming through airlock. Switched out to a sterile airlock/vented bucket a bit and set out on the covered landing where it was 60-75 degrees (know that's a little high, but inside was no better.)

2 weeks later no airlock activity for a few days. planned on botteling so set everything up and STUPIDLY didn't take a reading until AFTER i bottled everything up. Final Gravity? 1.031.

So, finally, my question: Did I basically brew 5 gallons of sticky improvised explosives or is the high gravity somehow due to the rum addition and malodextrin? Whole batch is currently in the basement wrapped in garbage bags and plywood in the event of explosions. Any tips or wisdom would be appreciated. The Missus is about ready to throw out my gear if this stuff explodes in the storage closet. Thanks in advance!

(happier note -- also bottled a saison same night that i added some chamomile flowers to -- about 1oz -- and that's spot on and smells amazing.)

I vote bottle bombs.

You're basically at a 1.055 OG with the ingredients you listed. So you've got a 3.2 ish % abv (not counting the rum).

I made (tried to make) a bourbon barrel porter for my second batch ever and the gravity got stuck at 1.03 and never budged. I dont really know what happened as I was a rookie in over my head, but it went down the drain after 6 weeks of waiting.

be prepared for bombs... In the future IF you think the beer has completed fermentation take a gravity reading and WAIT another day. Take another to check for gravity drop. if it drops let it sit another week. if not WAIT another day and take a gravity reading. If it droped from 2 days ago, let it sit another week.

Please take good care being sanitary. Actually let starsan sit on the equipment for the 1 minute to pull the sample i.e. thief/wine sample puller. Its very easy for infection. But seriously if you dont get any bombs, crack one open and enjoy. Main thing here is to learn from your mistakes. ALSO to reduce the amount of the misses bitching, brew her something. seriously.

what a waste....of perfectly good rum.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll be in the basement dumping (and attempting to drink) semi-flat 15 day-old oatmeal stout. Live and learn!

what a waste....of perfectly good rum.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll be in the basement dumping (and attempting to drink) semi-flat 15 day-old oatmeal stout. Live and learn!

how much priming sugar did you use?

Why dump it? Why not star San the bottles and dump it into a secondary vessel and add a fresh batch of yeast? What can it hurt?

Why dump it? Why not star San the bottles and dump it into a secondary vessel and add a fresh batch of yeast? What can it hurt?

seriously lol why the heck not?:mug:

no seriously though you will indeed oxygenate the wort, could possibly sour it/spoil it.

Uncap each bottle and cover with sanitized foil. You don't have anything to lose, but maybe have a save.

Like both the ideas for saving it, actually. Sadly I've got like .05 oz of starsan left, it's 10:28 pm in Chicago and, after uncapping a few, these bottles werent going to wait for the brew supply store to open. Terrible waste but I dumped them -- had at least 7 spout off like a fountain too. 100% were at or above the carb level I'd anticipate for a mature stout after 24 hours, which is crazy to me.

Despite the bad news about this batch, if anyone else has ideas on how to save a beer in this condition please post? Before I posted here I would read these forums like a crowd-sourced bible so have at it.

Thanks again for all the tips and I'll replace this batch with a little more experience on my side next time :mug:

I vote you crack/vent each bottle a bit every day for a couple weeks. I've had to do this with a porter which has now aged about 6 months in bottle and continues to get better.

EDIT just saw your post. Shame it was wasted but consider it learning lesson and hey its cheaper to waste batches than pay for brewing school.

Back