bottle bomb at work (32oz)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
I promised a guy at work that I would give him a bottle of my IIPA. So, today I took him a 32oz bottle (it was in a used Lagunitas Sucks Quart bottle) filled off my keg.

Well, I didn't leave any headspace... none. After lunch the bottle had raised from 40F to room temperature (72F ?) while sitting on his desk.

The whole bottom blew out. I helped him clean it up. But it was a a bit of a disaster our pretty conservative office. Smelled nice to me but I am sure others did not appreciate it!

Hope this helps someone or is at least entertaining!
(not my best day as a homebrewer)

I'm with the guy above. I don't get how this could have happened when filled from a keg.

I'm with the guy above. I don't get how this could have happened when filled from a keg.

I keep thinking of this. So, if it was kegged early and there was still fermentables then bottled and temp raised maybe? Still, it should have taken quite awhile. I remember a thread where someone with a web cam tried to create a bottle bomb, over primed and it was sitting out in the hot sun ( in a rubbermaid box for the shrapenal) and it never did blow.

Btw, I'm not doubting the story, just wondering why.

I can only imagine how you must have felt. I bet you were ready for a beer when you got home. :mug:

I'll have to keep this in mind. I'm just glad none of my "yeast samples" have done this during transit. Could make for a swap gone bad.

The beer has been on tap for month at 12psi. The carbonation is good when I drink it on tap.

I gave another coworker a growler today, that leaked a tad out of the swing top lid but did not break.... Makes sense much thicker glass and some pressure relief.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I can see how having no headspace can lead to a bomb in short order.

I've had 2 bottle bombs myself where I think the brew was infected(was still drinkable). They were gushers even when they didn't explode.

I've also had 2 bottle bombs from commercial breweries! Never thought I'd see that.

The bottle was chilled very cold... I had to shake a chunk of frozen starSan out before I bottled.

This is my bottle filler (see photo). I used it without a stopper (not keeping the bottled pressurized when filling). There was zero foam. So, I guess that is a good filling practice... I jut need to leave some headspace next time!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/grhzkeoo7gn6rrs/2014-03-20%2007.43.39.jpg

The bottle was chilled very cold... I had to shake a chunk of frozen starSan out before I bottled.

This is my bottle filler (see photo). I used it without a stopper (not keeping the bottled pressurized when filling). There was zero foam. So, I guess that is a good filling practice... I jut need to leave some headspace next time!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/grhzkeoo7gn6rrs/2014-03-20%2007.43.39.jpg

Or you could get some plastic bottles just for office purposes and a carbonator cap. Won't ever have to worry about this sort of thing again. I have a carbonator cap, but I need to pick up some bottles. They sell small ones at the LHBS by the case, but they're too expensive for my cheap @$$.

Or you could get some plastic bottles just for office purposes and a carbonator cap. Won't ever have to worry about this sort of thing again. I have a carbonator cap, but I need to pick up some bottles. They sell small ones at the LHBS by the case, but they're too expensive for my cheap @$$.

soda bottle?

Both are correct. At 34* F water starts to expand. But above 34 it also is expanding.

Water is weird that way. Most interesting and important chemical substance on earth, to me.
Think more hydraulic pressure than gas pressure. Liquids are non-compressible fluids. With zero head space, something had to give.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I posted this, pretty sure it was my fault not leaving head space but there were more (and better) responses that I expected. HBT Rocks :rockin:

Again... i blame myself but do you think the 32oz bottle handles less pressure that say a 22oz bomber?

sucks.jpg

Both are correct. At 34* F water starts to expand. But above 34 it also is expanding.

Yep, water has its highest density at 4*C, however the change is generally very small as long as it remains liquid...

I guess if there was literally zero headspace, liquid beer right up to the bottom of the cap, it could happen. Although I would also expect the cap to blow before the glass would shatter unless there was a hiarline crack creating a weak point.

As I think about it, the expansion forces probably had more to do with CO2 coming out of solution as the temperature was rising...but still a bottle should be able to handle that pressure at room temp...anytime someone bottle-conditions the pressure gets ramped up until the bottles are cooled, and they don't typically break.

Yep, water has its highest density at 4*C, however the change is generally very small as long as it remains liquid...

I guess if there was literally zero headspace, liquid beer right up to the bottom of the cap, it could happen. Although I would also expect the cap to blow before the glass would shatter unless there was a hiarline crack creating a weak point.

As I think about it, the expansion forces probably had more to do with CO2 coming out of solution as the temperature was rising...but still a bottle should be able to handle that pressure at room temp...anytime someone bottle-conditions the pressure gets ramped up until the bottles are cooled, and they don't typically break.

I don't know. The hydraulic force explanation sounds convincing to me. Add the CO2 pressure on top of that and......

Thanks everyone for the input.

I posted this, pretty sure it was my fault not leaving head space but there were more (and better) responses that I expected. HBT Rocks :rockin:

Again... i blame myself but do you think the 32oz bottle handles less pressure that say a 22oz bomber?

sucks.jpg

I asked a question in another thread re: use of 64 oz. growlers to bottle condition. Someone said they had experimented with dissecting growlers for a craft project and noticed inconsistent thickness (thin spots) in the glass. I wonder if a flaw or thin area in your particular bottle may have been the problem? To blow the bottom out of the glass before breaching the cap area makes me suspicious of bottle wall strength. Did you bottle other beer from this batch with the same style bottles? Any problems?

On that day I bottled two 1/2 gallon growler (with flip tops) and this one 32oz all off the force carbonated keg. The growler did leak out a bit without exploding.

Last year I bottle carbonated some ESB in similar 32oz bottles than I collected. Those survived but I had appropriate head space.

Today, I gave my friend at work a growler of the IIPA to make it up to him. I kept it on ice under my desk this time!

Latest posts

Back