Botteling help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfool

Reaction score
Let me start out by saying that I am very new to homebrewing, so much so that I am using a Mr. Beer "dump in and mix" kit, I do have a "real" ale pale on the way though. Anywho I have my first batch in the fermenter and it will need to be bottled soon, I have 8 plastic screw top bottles with lids. Whats with adding the sugar, I mean what does it do and how much do I add? Also how long do I let the bottles sit before I throw the in the fridge and then drink them? I also have a really good home brew book (the name escapes me but it is what everyone told me to get.) Thanks for all the help
Fishfool

You add the sugar so that you will have carbonated beer. It's called "bottle conditioning." After you add the beer to the bottles, let it set for 1-2 weeks in a cool, dark environment. After that you should be good to chill and enjoy.

Back