Bored Saturday=Shiny Corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_Pete

Reaction score
Well its been raining and miserable the past 2 days. Car buffer and some Mother Mag Aluminum Polish = Shiny new corny keg.

Before
kk3.jpg

After
k1.jpg

k2.jpg

Wow.... Looks great. I wish I wasn't so damn lazy.... None of mine look close to that. I'm officially jealous.

Hey thanks! My SWMBO thinks it was a waste of time considering it's going to be in the fridge 98% which no one will see. True, but I will see it and I'll be happy knowing it's nice and shiny :mug:

:rolleyes:
Hey thanks! My SWMBO thinks it was a waste of time considering it's going to be in the fridge 98% which no one will see. True, but I will see it and I'll be happy knowing it's nice and shiny :mug:

Blank3d,
We must have identical twin SWMBO’s. Mine said the exact same thing to me. :rolleyes: I’ve got two I’m going to buff, but they have big a$$ stickers on them.

Did yours, and if so, how did you get them off?

CorneyKeg.jpg

I used the gator grit fine pad and it took the stickers right off. I'm 95% done with one and 50% done with another. It goes pretty quick if you don't get sidetracked doing something else.

Single edge razor blades get the stickers off. They tend to be old and brittle, so they just pop off. The glue is a pain.

This stuff works great to remove glue residue, and the stickers as well.
attachment.php

Single edge razor blades get the stickers off. They tend to be old and brittle, so they just pop off. The glue is a pain.

Thanks, I'll give the blade a try. That should get most of it off.

This stuff works great to remove glue residue, and the stickers as well.
attachment.php

Your image isn't showing. What's the name of what you use?

Thanks, I'll give the blade a try. That should get most of it off.

Your image isn't showing. What's the name of what you use?

yea, I didn't have any stickers so I didn't run into that problem. But GooGone works great for stickers. As well as razors. Good Luck :mug:

Ive been doing that to mine but I use an angle grinder with the gator grit pads to get all the glue off and a buffing pad for the polish.

Much faster than that handheld buffer but I dont have one of those.

lol, I wish! wrong kind of machine though, its for sharping hobs...long story.
Problem is the "welder" here at work blew mult. holes in the stainless before he gave up.
Now I have to find a real weld shop to do it for real $$.
Should have did that first, or went weldless!

Problem is the "welder" here at work blew mult. holes in the stainless before he gave up.

Ouch!
Bummer man - Good luck!

Where you at? I have some guys at work who could probably fix you right up.

I just wish I could find a keg to convert. I drilled my turkey fryer last weekend and installed a valve. But I forgot I didn't have Silicone washer, so I can't even use it now until I get one. (opens up McMaster website..)

Hey Homercid,
Well, I am down here in Novi/Commerce Township. Know anyone 'round here?

Sorry, I'm too far north. And YIKES! That is one ugly weld! It looks like the guy used MIG and forgot to turn the gas on!

When welding thin stainless like this, I highly recommend only using TIG. TONS more control. I think it can be fixed no problem though.

I hope you didn't pay that guy!

That pic looks like he tried welding that with a stick welder, and didn't use stainless rod. TIG is the way to go with a little back gas purge you'll have a very nice weld. If you were anywhere near me I could help you out but you're not.

All I can say is it was hard to watch, its in the hands of a WELDER now and I should have a price today. Sometimes "favors" cost more than just having it done properly.

Latest posts

Back