Books for the beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
John Palmer's' "How to Brew" is available online and so far has been very good.
But then again as a pure beginner what the hell do I know:D

Someone recommended this "Charlie Papazian's The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing"

Any comments?

Tommy

Brewno said:
John Palmer's' "How to Brew"

Someone recommended this "Charlie Papazian's The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing"
Tommy

yeah thats a good one. so is Dave Millers, 'Homebrewing Guide', i prefer this one, it was my first book, and i still use it 7 years later. (i actually only got around to buying Charlie Paps books last year)

also pick up a few issues of 'Zymurgy' magazine and 'brew your own' they got 'em at waldens, barnes and nobles etc...

heres a link to every book about beer youd ever want (and some youd NEVER want)

http://home.att.net/~newbooks/beerbooks.html

Brewno said:
Now didn't I just get finished saying I'm reading that online edition? Drinking too much of your own hooch?:D :tank:

That's me, G U I L T Y !! :drunk: :drunk:

Too much #6005 and 6007 tonight...(see below)

Man, I gotta drive to Phila/NJ tomorrow..............I just got back from Savannah, GA last Sat night...and I'm not even a truck driver...retirement 3.5 years away...then I'm gonna travel...

HurricaneFloyd said:
Get it! Get it now!

I second that. I don't know, but I think he still brings about brewing as simple as it gets. I'm biased though as I started with him. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Palmer book, but as far as the simplest book I have seen it would still be "The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing".

GOD said:
as far as the simplest book I have seen it would still be "The complete joy".

I guess I'll have to take your "word" for it.
I mean after all your word is the word of...well........you know:D

Thanks

Tommy

:D

While bouncing around I found his first edition (any of the older folks have this edition?). I actaully started brewing at the publishing of his second in 1991. There are certainly more books today that would be considered easy books to get into the hobby.

This was published in 1984 though.... can't help but to wonder how many of his books are floating around.... thats a good 22 years :mug:

2560-CompleteJoyofHomebrewing1st.jpg

I just ordered his new book from Amazon. I went about my usual way of dealing with Amazon and purchased from the "used section". I've got some good deals on DVDs and books in the past. I just ordered the "The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing" for 69 cents plus shipping and handling. Total $4.18.
Condition=good.

Tommy

GOD said:
:D

I actaully started brewing at the publishing of his second in 1991. There are certainly more books today that would be considered easy books to get into the hobby.

This was published in 1984 though.... can't help but to wonder how many of his books are floating around.... thats a good 22 years :mug:

2560-CompleteJoyofHomebrewing1st.jpg
I bought the 1991 edition in 1995 and it is dog eared, torn, and taped together. I went out and got the newest version as well but I can't bring myself to throw away the old one. It seems like an old friend to me.

RichBrewer said:
I bought the 1991 edition in 1995 and it is dog eared, torn, and taped together. I went out and got the newest version as well but I can't bring myself to throw away the old one. It seems like an old friend to me.

Yeah I know what you mean... notes all over and all:) I keep looking at the newer edition wondering if there is any new information in it. Might just get it for the hell of it.... new book:)

GOD said:
Yeah I know what you mean... notes all over and all:) I keep looking at the newer edition wondering if there is any new information in it. Might just get it for the hell of it.... new book:)
I didn't think there was that much new information in the book to be honest. You may want to browse through it before you buy. I got it because my other copy was literally falling apart.

Back