Boohoo!!!! IIPA too bitter to drink :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
I was sooo proud of my "real man's" IIPA, but it leaves such a bitter aftertase that I can hardly stand it.

I drank a couple of bottles (only been in the botle about a week), but it is just too bitter. I am really disappointed.

it is really alcoholic (8.6%) has substantial maltyness, but the post mouthful bitterness is just too much.

I had such high hopes for this one. :( :( :(

sigh

I will pick up some other IPA ingredients tomorrow. I have to be able to create a goof IPA.

my first dumpsterbrau :(

a brew of that abv should age longer than a week before it really comes into its own. Also, aging will help mellow the hop flavor. I wouldent dumpster it just yet, put it aside for 2 months, then give it another try... Or you can send it to me!

Yeah let it sit around for a bit longer then give it another try. AND FOR GODS SAKE DONT DUMP IT OUT!!! If it tastes fine but is just too bitter and it doesnt mellow out maybe you can mix it 50/50 with another pale ale to get something that works for ya.

Pumbaa said:
Yeah let it sit around for a bit longer then give it another try. AND FOR GODS SAKE DONT DUMP IT OUT!!! If it tastes fine but is just too bitter and it doesnt mellow out maybe you can mix it 50/50 with another pale ale to get something that works for ya.
I was going to mention that also. Or you could mix it 50/50 with Sprite to make a Radler.:D

I have a double IPA that's been sitting under the house for a good 5 months now. It is really peaking now, I hope I can save it for another 6 weeks or so, should be delicious by then.

Pumbaa said:
If it tastes fine but is just too bitter and it doesnt mellow out maybe you can mix it 50/50 with another pale ale to get something that works for ya.

wow, I never thought of that... good idea. would I mix them when pournig into the glass, or would I mix them in a carboy or something and then re-bottle?

ahoym8e said:
wow, I never thought of that... good idea. would I mix them when pournig into the glass, or would I mix them in a carboy or something and then re-bottle?
Age it first for a few months and i'm sure it'll mellow as everyone has said earlier. But if you do mix it i'd do it from the bottle as it is and not try to re-mix it in a carboy and re-cap it.

Well, it's been another week, and the beer has improved substantially.

It's gone from "something died in my mouth" to "dang, that's pretty bitter, but not too shabby."

I am actually starting to believe that there is a future for this brew. :)

anyway, just thought I'd update.

Back