Boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemarc

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before, but I need to ask...this is the first brew I'm doing indoors on my gas range (it's too cold outside to brew), and my wort just won't boil. It's damn close, but not a rolling boil. I don't want to cover the pot, so will I be ok without a raging boil?

I know this has been asked before, but I need to ask...this is the first brew I'm doing indoors on my gas range (it's too cold outside to brew), and my wort just won't boil. It's damn close, but not a rolling boil. I don't want to cover the pot, so will I be ok without a raging boil?

You need a rolling boil, but not raging. Try reducing the volume of your wort or spanning two burners if your pot is large enough.

^^^yeah just turn the heat up lol...It will be ok. I would boil for at least 90 minutes though. I've made beer on my BBQ grill which barely managed a simmer...You can cover it say 50% for the first 1/2 hour or so as long as you keep it uncovered for the last 30 minutes.

try straddling two burners if you can. Cover the pot just enough to get a boil ( you will reflect some heat loss back into the pot but leave a "window" for DMS and water vapour to leave)

Back when I was doing 2.5 gallon boils it would take forever to reach a rolling boil. To speed things up I'd keep the pot covered while bringing the wort to a boil, then removing the lid once achieved.

I had the same issue in my first brew with it taking forever. But since my extract brews called for a one gallon for steeping, then adding up the volume to 1.5 total, then adding one more, I had my main brew pot going and I just added one gallon of boiling from a smaller pot. It cut down on the time a lot. I highly recommend having a second one gallon pot going at all times.

I think I was just being anally paranoid. The wort WAS boiling, just not the "rolling" boil I get with my outdoor propane stove. I have high hopes for this brew, it's an American IPA from Austin Homebrew Supply. This was by far my smoothest brewday yet. My whole house smells like hops...I love it!!

Not to hi-jack, but what are the potential downsides to a boil that might be, say, leaning more towards a heavy simmer than and all out rolling boil? I've had the same issue with keeping a good rolling boil and constantly play the cover on, cover off, cover half on, cover cracked game....

Not to hi-jack, but what are the potential downsides to a boil that might be, say, leaning more towards a heavy simmer than and all out rolling boil? I've had the same issue with keeping a good rolling boil and constantly play the cover on, cover off, cover half on, cover cracked game....

I don't know for sure, but I think the difference would be minimal. You can only get water up to 212 F which is the boiling point. If it is simmering, it might be a degree or two under, but I'm sure you are getting the bitterness of the hops. I'd worry too much about playing the cover game... I'd constantly dred the potential of a boilover mess. However, ya gotta do what you gotta do. When I moved into my new house, we needed to replace the stove and I made sure I had a high BTU burner for my beer making. :drunk:

Here's a good read on the subject. The short of it is that you want a full rolling boil.

One of the most important reactions that occurs in the wort boil is the formation of "hot break". Hot break is the coagulation of proteins, formation of protein-polyphenol complexes, and reaction with hop compounds to create larger particles that will sediment out in the whirlpool at the end of the boil. These reactions occur at higher rates at higher temperatures and more agitation. This is why your wort boil must be full and rolling... the more vigorous and turbulent the boil, the more of these compounds form over time..

The Beer Life of Brian: Importance of a Full Wort Boil

Latest posts

Back