Boiling times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James T

Reaction score
My first all grain and I cut back on the hops boiling time to cut back on bitterness. Recipe called for a 60 min. and then a 30 min. hop addition. I just put all the hops in at 30 min. and let it be. Could I have cut the boiling time to 30 mins. also? Did I need to boil the wort for a full 60 mins. if I didn't add any hops until the 30 min. mark? Please help as I haven't seen the answer anywhere.
Mucho thanks!

If you are making beers that you like, then you can do whatever you want.

If you have something in your beers you aren't liking, tastes, body, aroma, head retention, too much head, then those are some reasons you might try different boil times or different hop schedule.

Just do something. That way you'll have a result and we won't be talking about somewhat abstracted things and mostly not even hypothesizing.

My first all grain and I cut back on the hops boiling time to cut back on bitterness. Recipe called for a 60 min. and then a 30 min. hop addition. I just put all the hops in at 30 min. and let it be. Could I have cut the boiling time to 30 mins. also? Did I need to boil the wort for a full 60 mins. if I didn't add any hops until the 30 min. mark? Please help as I haven't seen the answer anywhere.
Mucho thanks!
There are reasons for boiling wort beyond extracting bitterness from hops. For example: Evil Twin . I've brewed it as a 20 min boil and as a 60 min boil. I prefer it as a 60 min boil.

Did I need to boil the wort for a full 60 mins. if I didn't add any hops until the 30 min. mark?
That question is kind of a can of worms. You will get opinions all over the place. Some folks do not boil at all. As @bailey mountain brewer says, you need to account for the amount of water that is boiled off over a given time to predict what your final post boil gravity and volume will be. There seems to be a divergence in opinions regarding how long one needs to boil wort with pilsner malt in it. Conventional wisdom says to boil that 90 minutes but lots of folks are backing off on that due to the belief that modern grain processing has eliminated the need for the long boil. Longer boil time will generally lead to darker wort and some Maillard reaction flavor enhancement. That's good for many darker beers. Light colored beers would be less affected by a short boil (except pislner... ). There is a lot to unpack in the question of how long one should boil. Once you get that figured out you might try asking how hard should one boil if you want to open another can of worms.

Welcome to the forum. And yes a 60 min boil is needed for full enzyme activity. Then cool quickly to avoid unwanted enzyme activity. You can learn indept as your skills progress.

Enzyme activity?!

You don't need a full 60 minutes to get bitterness or kill bugs, but - and this is important especially with lightly kilned malts - a longer boil will drive off DMS.

You'll also get a little bit of Maillard reaction with the boil, so a longer boil will give you a slightly darker color (even when corrected for boil-off.)

Alex touched on it quite well. It boils off DMS. But there is more and at the moment I have to drive. I'll get back later.

Traditionally an hour (60 minute) boil is generally advised to drive off DMS. For ale malts that is. When using Pilsner malts (or undermodified malts) a 90 minute boil is advised.
Now with modern day malts that may well be overkill, a good simmering (surface rippling) and enough evaporation should drive off enough DMS in 30 minutes, [Added] 45-60 minutes for most common Pilsner malts.

Hop schedule wise, a 30' minute boil will yield somewhat lower IBUs than a 60' one, about 20-30% less, IIRC. That's easily remedied by adding 20-30% more bittering hops.

Last edited:
Also a note to boil off rate, if you boil for 60 minutes you will have a higher OG then if you stop your boil at 30 minutes.

how do you sparge? if you plan on just boiling for 30min, keep that in mind for sparge volume, to get the volume into the boil kettle for only 30 minutes of boil, other wise you might be surprised why your fermenter won't hold it all. ;) :mug:

Last edited:
I adjust all of my recipes for a 30 minute boil. I boil inside with my electric kettle sitting right in front of the stove, using the stove fan to exhaust steam. Needless to say, it doesn't get all of it and I find much less humidity in the house after a 30 minute boil vs 60 minutes.

YMMV

Lon

how did you sparge? if you plan on just boiling for 30min, keep that in mind for sparge volume, to get the volume into the boil kettle for only 30 minutes of boil, other wise you might be surprised why your fermenter won't hold it all. ;) :mug:
I'm a fly spare guy, but I also always boil for 60, sometimes more, never less. That's just me. I have more of an issue when I use my condenser lid, boil off rate is different then, and my fermenter is full to the brim haha.

90 minute vigorous rolling boils are standard for us. That drives off the DMS potential...cooked corn & cabbage.

Back