Boiling the mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across cold mashing last night. Briess malting group published some information on it. Which proves that some of you truly have limited scopes of mash knowledge. If grains are left sitting out all night some conversion will occur. Also if amylase is added, even possibly more.

It turns out pilsner urquell and saison dupont start their mash at low temps and ramp them up. In the case of pilsner urquell they start low and ramp up all the way to three decoctions which in my mind isnt all that different than my thinking. If you could just take a step back amd think with a little less science and a little more common sense , it isnt that far stretching. A hydrometer would be the wrong tool, a refractometer would be needed I think.

Here come the insults ehh. The insults from some are pretty pathetic. A new and curious idea is seen as trolling. In fact I think qhrumphf and slym are actually trolls. Pathetic single men trolls who live by themselves in dirty dingy troll like spaces, barely employable if at all. One a wannabe cook, the other a wannabe brewer, who thinks he knows stuff cause he brewed commercially as a volunteer for 2 weeks. Slym is already on my ignore list, welcome to it qhrumphf you loser. You need to take a pretty good look in the mirror and ask yourself what about a new idea threatens you so much that you felt the need to come on here and talk to me that way. I really feel for you I really do. What kind of sorry sort are you? Oh you had to bring up warm fermented lager. But it's not warm fermented now, now it's boiled right? How the thought of warm fermenting a lager just upsets you so much. It just can't be right with all your commercial Brewing knowledge there was passed down to you. It's trolling in your mind too warm ferment a lager. It's real cool that I get to be attacked Every Which Way But sideways and I can't respond, because what people don't know is when I respond you pathetic losers report. You are pathetic qhrumpf and you are worse slym. Slym has been kicked off the forum if you didn't know. I don't know or don't care if it happens again. He's a lazy extract Brewer who has made maybe two All Grain batches in his life, mostly because he has nobody to share it with, but he gets to get on here and call me a troll because I'm thinking outside the box.

Oh I get it, it's all my fault. I had the audacity to suggest an experiment that I don't have the skills to perform. Oh I have the audacity to think anything other than common knowledge. I should just leave this forum and then you could be left with slym and qhrumphf. All of their loser friends got kicked off of being jerks and now they have nobody left to hang with. Why don't you go find all your jerk friends you don't have any respect and join them.

Hello,
Boiling some (not all) of the mash IS done as a brewing practice by some. Some of the mash is decanted and boiled in a cooker. It is then returned to the main mash. It raises the temperature and adds a flavor effect.

Boiling all the mash (after conversion) would seem undesirable due to the extraction of polyphenols.

A couple of things.

We're all grown ups here, and should be able to have conversations where we disagree without namecalling.

So this thread will be closed.

Secondly, trust me on this. Pilsner Urquell's process is NOTHING like your description. They don't do a super quick mash to a boil to save time. They spend enough time at saccrification rest temperatures, and a decoction is not at all like your proposal.

Discussion is great. Namecalling, being argumentative, etc. is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back